Why use a carbon wrapped barel?

A carbon barrel has roughly the same rigidity of a steel barrel of equal weight, not of equal contour. So a 3.5# carbon barrel will flex about the same as an equal length and weight steel barrel, even though the contours are vastly different. This has been tested by a few people by handing weights from muzzle and measuring flexion with a dial indicator. The more rigid, the more harmonically dead the barrel. This is why BR and F class use HEAVY steel barrels. They're very stiff, and they run them very long for recrowning and set back, also the extra free velocity allows them to run a lower psi node and still have good performance

BTW, CF is an insulator, not a radiator. Fire 5 shots from equal weight conventional and carbon barrels and measure exterior surface temps at same locations. The carbon is in fact cooler. Where do you think the heat went? Measure surface temp at the throat.

Your premise is WRONG from the start.

No one cares about SURFACE temp.

Extracting heat from chamber and rifling is what counts....

CF wrap EXCELLS at letting heat out of rifling and barrel faster than solid steel.... CF barrels ALSO have BETTER HARMONICS....

PURE PHYSICS.....

PURE FACT....

PROVEN COURTESY OF THE ARMY MATERIAL COMMAND...

Your welcome...

20210104_095000.jpg

Carbon fibre has different harmonics than steel. Now what gets really interesting is Dracos barrels which almost eliminate harmonics. They also dont heat up as fast for target shooters
I drive by falkor/dracos shop every day, I kinda want to try one their new bartlein cored bolt gun barrels and see what they're all about.

Carbon fibre has different harmonics than steel. Now what gets really interesting is Dracos barrels which almost eliminate harmonics. They also dont heat up as fast for target shooters
Exactly!!!

2moa accuracy on a chrome lined m4 barrel - 3 hours cooling to regain 2moa

3 - 30 round mags full auto

3 moa accuracy on a 5r chrome lined carbon wrapped m4 barrel 45 minutes cooling to regain 3moa

15- 30 round mags full auto!!!!!!!!
In firefights and e&e barrel burnouts almost dissappeared!!!!

I was sold after watching that...

However barrel prices back then were $15k to $30k!!!!!

Way out in buck rogers fantasy land!!!!

this is all very interesting! I have another thread on here about building a mountain rifle in 284 Winchester using a CF Barrel. I build rifles as a hobby and have always used the Remington Varmint profile from Krieger. I call them a heavy hunter/ lite tactical type of rifle. On this mountain rifle, I'm thinking of using a CF barrel to cut down on weight but keep it ridged for the "Cold Bore Shot". The only time this barrel will get extensively used breaking the barrel in and load development. It will be wearing a can too.

One big advantage is in long barrels and suppressors. In shorter barrels the weight advantage is minimal
Not to argue, but when i turn barrels down for cf, the primary weight is in the shank and a bit in the muzzle. Length actually doesn't change the weight much at all. Works out to 1.1oz per inch.

CF wrap EXCELLS at letting heat out of rifling and barrel faster than solid steel.... CF barrels ALSO have BETTER HARMONICS....

PURE PHYSICS.....

PURE FACT....

Your welcome...

View attachment 238857

Well some body is wrong; not exactly sure who.

Have done a fair amount of reading on this subject and while it is true that carbon fibers can conduct an appreciable amount of heat, but to do so the strands have to be perpendicular to the surface that one wants to conduct heat away from. The heat has to propagate down the length of the strand. They can not wrap and or position the carbon fiber stands on a barrel 90 degrees or perpendicular (stand on end like short hairs) to the barrel or chamber of the rifle like they need to conduct heat away from the steel barrel.

The only way they can wrap the carbon fibers around a chamber or a barrel is longitudinally and then they encase them in a resin to bind them which further insulates the barrel. So you take a thin barrel which can't absorb much heat without getting extremely hot, and you wrap it in insulating resin and carbon fibers that are wound in the wrong direction for heat transfer. Tell me where that heat goes.. Unless you can ventilate the barrel by passing a cool fluid - air or liquid, there is no way to get the heat out of the thin steel barrel that is incased in the resin and longitudinally wrapped carbon fiber.

That they shoot well as many profess, is a credit to the maker of the steel barrel prior to its being wrapped.

And the fact that the outer surface of the carbon barrel is always cool to the touch lets you know the heat is not reaching the carbon surface nor radiating from it.

Last edited:
Not to argue, but when i turn barrels down for cf, the primary weight is in the shank and a bit in the muzzle. Length actually doesn't change the weight much at all. Works out to 1.1oz per inch.

Compare FINISHED weight on a 30" cf wrapped 1" diameter 30 cal barrel AND a 24" all steel sendero barrel....

Lots of performance difference

Not a lot of weight difference in my experience....

PURE PHYSICS.....

PURE FACT....

Your welcome...

View attachment 238857
Post a link courtesy of the army otherwise I highly doubt it. The thermal conductivity of carbon is significantly lower than steel. I've heard plenty of accounts of people burning out barrels quicker with CF wraps. I'm fairly certain the thin steel liner heats up way faster, the carbon does nothing, and they don't last as long as steel 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well some body is wrong; not exactly sure who.

Have done a fair amount of reading on this subject and while it is true that carbon fibers can conduct an appreciable amount of heat, but to do so the strands have to be perpendicular to the surface that one wants to conduct heat away from. The heat has to propagate down the length of the strand. They can not wrap and or position the carbon fiber stands on a barrel 90 degrees or perpendicular (stand on end like short hairs) to the barrel or chamber of the rifle like they need to conduct heat away from the steel barrel.

The only way they can wrap the carbon fibers around a chamber or a barrel is longitudinally and then they encase them in a resin to bind them which further insulates the barrel. So you take a thin barrel which can't absorb much heat without getting extremely hot, and you wrap it in insulating resin and carbon fibers that are wound in the wrong direction for heat transfer. Tell me where that heat goes.. Unless you can ventilate the barrel by passing a cool fluid - air or liquid, there is no way to get the heat out of the thin steel barrel that is incased in the resin and longitudinally wrapped carbon fiber.

That they shoot well as many profess, is a credit to the maker of the steel barrel prior to its being wrapped.

And the fact that the outer surface of the carbon barrel is always cool to the touch lets you know the heat is not reach the carbon surface nor radiating from it.
Epoxy resins have a wide range of thermal conductivity ratings. All depends on what you mix in with that resin when you put it on that steel liner and then wrap tightly with CF.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.