Why the 7mm Rem Mag?

.277 and .284 are nice size projectiles that on the heavy size for caliber have pretty good ballistics. From reading it seems you have to approach 210 to 220 grain .308 projectiles to approach the nice ballistics associated with 7mm caliber bullets. A 175 grain .284 and a 165 grain .277 are pretty sweet, if well made. 175 grain bullet is less recoil that a 220 grain bullet touched off for same muzzle velocity. I have a 300 wm Remington 700 and it does well. It is a significant more recoil than a buddy's 7mm. Different rifles though. Since I have the 300 I don't feel the need for the 7mm. If I had the 7mm I might feel the need for the 300.
It is hard to beat the 300 wm.
The 7mm RM seems to be a forgotten long distance cartridge.
The best of both worlds of bullet weight and accuracy and recoil is probably the 7mm.
Just shoot what ya got available and decide for yourself.

The dental business must make good money if you've been to Africa 23 times!
africa for plains game is very reasonable. about 6k for airfare, 8 day hunt. 4 animals, tips, all food and lodging. here is wa a place near where i hunt charges 2800$ for 2 day hunt for mulie or wt deer. no lodging, travel food license etc included. i try to go each year, but missed a couple. i make a good living but at 71 i am still working a full schedule, im not wealthy , i just love hunting in south africa and urge all to go. i can hunt africa cheaper than moose in bc or alaska. your post kind of sounded judgmental. i worked over 15 years before my first african hunt. i dont apologize for the rewards of working hard, good education, which i paid for 100%, and setting goals. i dont drive expensive cars, buy 2nd homes, or live extravagantly. i buy guns and hunt. my car is a 2005 volvo.

I have a proposal. Pick a bullet weight and type that is common to both 7mm and .308. When all the hyperbole is eliminated, what we are talking about is bullet diameter. There is a full range of cartridge case sizes in both calibers, so the object should be to compare bullets of similar construction, profile, weight and velocity. Let the terminal physics decide the issue for the (Ha-Ha) non-biased. I suggest Hammer bullets of equal weight and profile because they are solids, but Sierra, Hornady, Norma, Speer or others will do as well, as long as they are the same construction, form factor and weight. Load the 7mm Rem and .300 WM to the same muzzle velocity. Fire them at 3/4 inch thick, A-76 mild steel plates at 300 yds and measure trajectory (drop), 300 yd retained velocity and visible effect on the target material. If you are honest in your efforts to compare actual ballistics, you will have some fun, and a feeling of pride in yourself for having done some real science.

I have a proposal. Pick a bullet weight and type that is common to both 7mm and .308. When all the hyperbole is eliminated, what we are talking about is bullet diameter. There is a full range of cartridge case sizes in both calibers, so the object should be to compare bullets of similar construction, profile, weight and velocity. Let the terminal physics decide the issue for the (Ha-Ha) non-biased. I suggest Hammer bullets of equal weight and profile because they are solids, but Sierra, Hornady, Norma, Speer or others will do as well, as long as they are the same construction, form factor and weight. Load the 7mm Rem and .300 WM to the same muzzle velocity. Fire them at 3/4 inch thick, A-76 mild steel plates at 300 yds and measure trajectory (drop), 300 yd retained velocity and visible effect on the target material. If you are honest in your efforts to compare actual ballistics, you will have some fun, and a feeling of pride in yourself for having done some real science.
Won't matter. At 800 yards hitting any animal with either, the animal wouldn't know which bullet killed it regardless. I'm guessing with identical built bullets, the damage would be almost equal if not.

I once shot a large elk at a bad angle with a hot 284 win load that has the velocity of a 7 RM. It hit at about the last rib and was headed to the far shoulder. Little blood, but not a killing shot. Caught up to that elk on its way out of Dodge, but couldn't distinguish the wounded elk from the non wounded in time to take another shot. This past year a hunter in our group wounded an elk and on its exit came by me so I took a shot with my 300 WSM at about the same angle and that elk never took another step. Although I've been with guides that swear by the 270, I will not endorse any bullet with a smaller dia than a 7MM and even with those suggest very careful placement. Personally, I believe in the 300 for critters as tough as elk.

Shoot what you have and don't worry about it.
There ain't any new animals, why do we need new cartridges? Every critter alive has been taken at one time or another with the older cartridges.
7x57 Mauser is awfully small and under powered compared to 7mm Rem. Mag, or 300 Mag, yet Bell shot a lot of elephants with it.
Flatter shooting with more energy is a great thing.......so is being a hunter that has the skills to get a closer shot.
My Wife shot this bear Sept. 29th of this year with a black powder loaded 44WCF (44-40). 200 grains of lead and 35 grais FFF Goex black powder did just fine.......no Super Magnum there.

Attachments

• S8180004.JPG
    S8180004.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 51
stayed out of this thread but now gonna go ahead and say it .... in terms of killing ability...... the 7mm calibers will NEVER be equal to or as good as 30 caliber ..... no matter how you present it .... goofy arguments of less recoil, less powder, lighter guns, shorter barrels and all manner of other useless fluff is pointless where killing power is concerned

other than that ...,, the 300 RUM is tons better than the other two, ha !

stayed out of this thread but now gonna go ahead and say it .... in terms of killing ability...... the 7mm calibers will NEVER be equal to or as good as 30 caliber ..... no matter how you present it .... goofy arguments of less recoil, less powder, lighter guns, shorter barrels and all manner of other useless fluff is pointless where killing power is concerned

other than that ...,, the 300 RUM is tons better than the other two, ha !
Exactly. Just like the 30s will never outkill a 338. Can't replace displacement.