7mm Rem Mag on the decline?

I disagree that the 6.5 CM will cause a decline on the popularity of the 7mm Rem Mag, they aren't even on the same class, by a long shot.

Now it will cause or already did affect the popularity of the 308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem and maybe even the 243 Win, and possibly other cartridges in that category.

The 6.5 PRC maybe will affect the 7mm Rem Mag and maybe the 300 Win Mag also, if it really takes off and more companies produce ammo and brass for it.
jNew shooter's that don't know jack will buy the marketed 6.5 creed, instead of their unmarketed grandfathers 7mm.

jNew shooter's that don't know jack will buy the marketed 6.5 creed, instead of their unmarketed grandfathers 7mm.
As well as shooters that do know jack, or at least whos dads know him. I love the Weatherby cartridges and the 7 mag and the 338 Win mag. For the last 20 or so years my first choice grab and go rifle has been the .260Rem. 3 of my 4 kids started on the .260 and 1 on the .243. They have all had moments with bigger badder rounds, but when it came time to buy their own first rifles, 3 bought 6.5 Creeds and one worked out a deal with Grampa for his old 30-06. None of them have really been subjected to Hornady "propaganda" but they all know what a 125 grain .264 partition will do at 3kFPS and wanted that, and the Creed just had a better selection of rifles. They will probably not have a room full of rifles so the 7 mag, which by the way had it's own early boost from very optimistic advertising, will be left un-purchased by my kids I would guess. The internet has black-balled belts and long actions for anything but short action cases, so the 7 mag will take a hit and lull for a while. I am sure there will be a PRC type run of 7s to come and younger shooters will decide if any of those can un-seat the big seven. So far the 280, 280AI, 7 RUM, 7STW, 7WSM, 7WBY, and 7 Dakota have not managed it. It would seem that practicality has started to creep up on bigger is better and for the time being the 7em em is maybe slowed a bit.

Last edited:

Correct, now the 6.5 is a great caliber and the creedmoor is a great cartridge. For hunting it has its limitations just like any other cartridge, but can't compare it with the performance of a magnum.

Correct, now the 6.5 is a great caliber and the creedmoor is a great cartridge. For hunting it has its limitations just like any other cartridge, but can't compare it with the performance of a magnum.
Unless you are shooting critters over 400 pounds, it actually compares very well to the magnums. Deer, antelope, and black bears are right in the wheel house of the short action 6.5s and they make up a massive majority of the tags filled in the US every year. You will get at least as good terminal performance, and much better operator performance from the Creed over a magnum. The non magnums are fun to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and practice makes perfect. The 7 Mag is not going anywhere, but it has certainly peaked.

As well as shooters that do know jack, or at least whos dads know him. I love the Weatherby cartridges and the 7 mag and the 338 Win mag. For the last 20 or so years my first choice grab and go rifle has been the .260Rem. 3 of my 4 kids started on the .260 and 1 on the .243. They have all had moments with bigger badder rounds, but when it came time to buy their own first rifles, 3 bought 6.5 Creeds and one worked out a deal with Grampa for his old 30-06. None of them have really been subjected to Hornady "propaganda" but they all know what a 125 grain .264 partition will do at 3kFPS and wanted that, and the Creed just had a better selection of rifles. They will probably not have a room full of rifles so the 7 mag, which by the way had it's own early boost from very optimistic advertising, will be left un-purchased by my kids I would guess. The internet has black-balled belts and long actions for anything but short action cases, so the 7 mag will take a hit and lull for a while. I am sure there will be a PRC type run of 7s to come and younger shooters will decide if any of those can un-seat the big seven. So far the 280, 280AI, 7 RUM, 7STW, 7WSM, 7WBY, and 7 Dakota have not managed it. It would seem that practicality has started to creep up on bigger is better and for the time being the 7em em is maybe slowed a bit.
Good stuff. I started out with a 243win as well, and still have one, along with a 260AI and a 300wsm. I wasn't trying to imply the 6.5 creed isn't capable or worthy. It has its merits, as anyone who hunts with a 260 knows.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.