Why not more Reloader 50?

nksmfamjp

I'm developing 28 Sherman Magnum Loads. Quickload is pushing me towards Retumbo, H50bmg, 869, RE50, RE33, etc.

Basically 50 cal powders or slightly faster. I say pushing as these develop max velocity at 100% case fill with safe pressures.

So, why aren't more folks using RE50 in 7STW, 28 Nosler, 26 Nosler….if not RE50, what would you use?

I think part of it depends on bullets used. Hammers seem to like faster powders.
And of course case fill comes into play with monos.
I'm running rl26 in my 30 Sherman. May play with .33 also but with the 214 hammer I may run out of room in the case.

@nksmfamjp Agree completely. I tried finding load data using RL-50 in my 30/378 and never able to find any, even from Alliant. I posted a request on a Weatherby forum asking if anyone had used this powder in their 30/378 and got no response. You would think it would be spot on for cartridges like the 30/378--300RUM---STW--Noslers etc.

@nksmfamjp Agree completely. I tried finding load data using RL-50 in my 30/378 and never able to find any, even from Alliant. I posted a request on a Weatherby forum asking if anyone had used this powder in their 30/378 and got no response. You would think it would be spot on for cartridges like the 30/378--300RUM---STW--Noslers etc.
Considering they made rl33 specifically for the 338 lapua. They probably have tested and see no need to try 50 in that size case.
That's juts my thought.

Considering they made rl33 specifically for the 338 lapua. They probably have tested and see no need to try 50 in that size case.
That's juts my thoughts. Kinda wish they would give more powders per caliber though. Juts in case you couldn't get the one they like.

I couldn't find RL33 for my 338 Lapua . I bought 8 pounds of RL50 . RL50 does offer a little more velocity , but with a higher case fill . I forget the case fill % , I think it was up around 112% . when it was all I could get , I bought it , I know I'll be able to work with it .

I'm developing 28 Sherman Magnum Loads. Quickload is pushing me towards Retumbo, H50bmg, 869, RE50, RE33, etc.

Basically 50 cal powders or slightly faster. I say pushing as these develop max velocity at 100% case fill with safe pressures.

So, why aren't more folks using RE50 in 7STW, 28 Nosler, 26 Nosler….if not RE50, what would you use?
I use it in my 300rum with 225 hdy pills... seems about like h50bmg or I5010 to me as far as performance. It's also rather bulky, so if you aren't terribly overbore you will run into space issues and be rather compressed. I can get 102 gr in the case (300rum/225 hdy/215) and I'm already rather compressed.

IME, Alliant doesn't market their powder very well. I say that only because I'm having pretty good performance with RL 26 in 300WSM and 300 Sherman, but they barely put it in 300 Win Mag. Let alone a smaller 30!

I would guess my case fill is just a bit higher than they like. I seem to be running at 100% or higher. I don't go over 110%….rings the bullets.

RL50 is a great powder in some of the cartridges with large case volume to bore ratio (overbore, high O-ratio, overbore index, whatever), especially with heavy for caliber bullets. As an example, it has higher and more consistent velocity with my .375 Snipetac and 33XC with heavy bullets. The .375 has an overbore index of around 1560 & the 33XC around 1525. As a comparison the 26 Nosler is around 1700 & 28 Nosler is close to 1500. This is just one factor you can look at as to where to be looking on a burn rate chart.
The only reason why I don't run more of it is because of availability, H50BMG has been more prevalent lately.

That's juts my thought.
Halven't seen any RL 33 for a couple years but have acquired some H50BMG for my 338 Lapua Works just fine with 250 gr, 270 gr and 300 gr bullets. Compressed loads, however.

I've used RL-50 in my 30-378 and does the same as RL-33 , just 4 grains more. No real advantage unless it is all that is available.