Reloader 50 vs Reloader 33

Alaska2006

Anyone using RL50? Just wondering if it has a cleaner burn than RL33.
Dang 33 seems dirty. I can get the same performance with RL50 and a few more grains.
Loading for the 28 Nosler if it matters and I understand RL33 is (claimed) the holy grail for the 28 Nosler.

I've used RL-33 in my 30/378 and find that once pressure is up there it burns much cleaner. I've found the same happen in my 257 WM. IME

I'm doing some barrel break in on this one. Super impressed with the Proof barrel, this is my first Proof carbon fiber and it sure cleans up nice. shot 1 and cleaned up in 3 patches down the pipe. shot 2 and same story, shot 4 same thing 3 patches and it was clean and free of copper. shot 6 and first patch had very few small flakes,chips, second patch was clean except for the RL33 carbon. Chased a couple more patches down the pipe to get all the carbon, zero copper (green) showing. so after a total of 13 rounds down the pipe at 3,021 fps across the lab radar I'm fairly pleased with the quality of the Proof barrel.
There were no signs of pressure but were fairly mild loads of 85.2 grain pushing the Berger 195s.
I didnt really plan on running much hotter than this, in fact 3,021 with an ES of 11 kind of surprised me for this new build right off the lathe and some break in loads I put zero care and love into. I'm at 5,600 ft above sea level here so I'm sure the thin air is helping some on the MV.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts