Why not Barnes?

I shot a moose using 180 gr.Barnes TSX bullets. The range was just over 200 yds. First bullet through the heart. The moose kept walking. Second bullet hit the hard bone just below the shoulder blade. It shattered 6 inches of the bone dropping the moose in its tracks. The bullet did its job well and I will be using them again.

Barnes Tripple shock bullets are really great...

unlike the older Barnes bullets that would put a Preacher cussing! I tried the 140g 7mm at 3600 fps in my custom 7 STW and they shoot a ragged hole at 100 and 3/4" at 300 (3 Shot groups). I get much less copper fouling from the Barnes Tripple shock bullets compared to a Nosler Bullet. It only took one trip to the range to find a load with the 140g tripple shock bullets. Deer just flop when shot with this round...no running!

Re: Barnes Tripple shock bullets are really great...

Over the past two weeks my buddy & I have shot four deer, and three of them have been shot at about 300-350 yards. All of these deer dropped right in there tracks. The bullets have all gone right thru the animals, so I have been unable to recover any of the bullets. I have to say that I am very impressed with the accuracy and the performance on the deer that we shot.

I was always told not to believe anything that I read and only half of what I see. However, there is both some good and bad reviews here for Barnes bullets. The thing is, try a few different kinds of bullets. For long range I would stick with a match grade BT. I don't believe any two rifles will shoot the same using the same loads, at least I haven't seen it.
I use the Barnes XBT 140gr in my 7MM Rem Mag. It will shoot in the area of 1/2"-3/4" 3 shot groups at 100yds but I started with Speer, Hornady and Sierra bullets. It just worked out that my rifle liked the Barnes better, for whatever reason. By the way, it's not a factory built rifle. As far as bullet performance, I have been using the load on Whitetail deer for 9 yrs now. I haven't had any go more than 50 yds and that was my fault for a poorly placed shot. I shoot for the lungs. Let someone knock the wind out of your sails and see how far you run. Most of my deer have fell in their tracks, incuding the 8 pt 130 class I shot this year. The bullet left an exit hole about 2" dia, it took out both lungs, and a rib on the far side. By the way I'm from Oklahoma, we don't grow too many monsters around here.

Remember, you can't kill it if you can't hit it. Nothing makes a hunter feel better than absolute confidence in his/her weapon and loads. As far as the price, I use them to hunt with, not bang up at tin cans. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.