Why not a 300 wby?

I've had a 300wby for 25+ years, it was a tack driver but I fear I've finally used the barrel up. I've taken everything from pigs to elk and bear with it out to 700+ yards. Partition and AB did the job until the ABLR came out, now that's what I shoot. Even though the barrel is going I haven't been using it as much over the past few years. As my sons grew I built them rifles they could handle and I started watching them drop elk and deer out to 700 yards with a single shot out of a rifle that allowed the shooter to watch the shot hit the target. They have 280 and 260 rems, they are actually fun to shoot, I never said that about my 300wby or the 340wby. But if you don't mind the recoil, get some ABLRs put them on top of H1000 and go shoot whatever you want too.

You know I saw a lot on this forum concerned a weatherby firearm, here is the thing , I highly recommend , for anyone and it doesn't matter what other rifle it may be , a quick way to solve problems is use what they you can buy , Ole yes I handload and play around with bullets take them and put meat on the table and he'd on the wall , but the one that don't know how to load a round , get with someone , learn take your time , I use factory rounds in my rifles and hunt and never change in some of my firearms, it always I think I do better that enters a person's mind , you can and do it safely , the 2 things in a rifles disadvantages, it bedding , and it optics, then the ammo , so what I'm saying is think before you get bent out of shape mad , I'm sure you will find a more saified answer on a personal note , good day safe hunting and shooting

I Hunt in Newfoundland so the Moose are small, (if there is such a thing as a small Moose) I put the 340 together for my 2017 hunt ( can only afford to go every 2 years) this year I will take the 300 Wby as my partner in all my travel hunts has taken Moose, elk, pig etc with my 300 win mag and I just can't see myself asking for it back, last month I took a Rem 700 in 300 Wby that kicked like a mule to a well known smith and asked him to build me a 300 win out of it, it won't be done in time for Moose this year but we will try for elk after the Moose so I want something that I am comfortable shooting to 5-6 hundred yards.

Ime wby freebore does well with long heavy for caliber bullets offering accuracy similar to their magnum counterparts.
Magazine length is my largest problem. If you had 4" of mag length it offers serious performance.
I use 212eldx with great effect out of mine

I Hunt in Newfoundland so the Moose are small, (if there is such a thing as a small Moose) I put the 340 together for my 2017 hunt ( can only afford to go every 2 years) this year I will take the 300 Wby as my partner in all my travel hunts has taken Moose, elk, pig etc with my 300 win mag and I just can't see myself asking for it back, last month I took a Rem 700 in 300 Wby that kicked like a mule to a well known smith and asked him to build me a 300 win out of it, it won't be done in time for Moose this year but we will try for elk after the Moose so I want something that I am comfortable shooting to 5-6 hundred yards.
Me and my cousin have identical rifles in 300wby and 300win the recoil is nearly identical, not enough that a shooters shoulder can notice the difference. They both wear muzzle brakes now

I too have 300 Weatherby mag on a Vanguard.
I got it because all the elk I saw were 500-600 yards away and getting older I figured I'd be better off with a more powerful rifle instead of the 30-06.
1st time I took it hunting I killed an elk at 8 yards!
I still use it and have taken big muley's up to around 500 yards and it's impossible to die any quicker.
I love my 300 Weatherby.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I too have 300 Weatherby mag on a Vanguard.
I got it because all the elk I saw were 500-600 yards away and getting older I figured I'd be better off with a more powerful rifle instead of the 30-06.
1st time I took it hunting I killed an elk at 8 yards!
I still use it and have taken big muley's up to around 500 yards and it's impossible to die any quicker.
I love my 300 Weatherby.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

EIGHT Yards! Did you club him to death?

Yep, that's why Ackley improved it by squaring it back off, and putting a 40º shoulder on it, and called it the .300 Ackley. The .300 Ackley was also tested and used by the Army Marksmanship Unit for 1K comps in the 1960's, and they called it the .300 AMU. The .300 Ackley has held numerous 1K benchrest records over the decades. :cool:

And the freebore does suck... That's one thing I can't stand about the Weatherby chamberings.
just out of curiosity, why does the "freebore" suck, in your opinion?

I have hunted for 30+ yrs with the 300 WEA, and consider it one of the best of the 30's. Any more case capacity is really not going to get you much more performance unless you are using a very long barrel. My current rifle that has been on many elk hunts with me now is a WEA Vanguard. The rifle is stock, except for being glass bedded and the addition of a Rifle Basics trigger. Its scoped with a Leupold VX 6 with the Boone and Crockett reticle. I have found that the monolithic bullets shoot the best with the long lead. My all around hunting load consists of Norma brass, Federal 215 match primers with 168 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets. I am currently running 86.5 grains of Reloader 22. This load runs at 3300 fps, and consistently groups 3 shots into .75 or less. ( it should be noted that this rifle has a 24" barrel ) I have killed 5 elk and 2 mule deer with this load. All except one were 1 shot kills. That one was a large bull that was angled away from me, and I hit him too far back. The wound channels were quite large, and the penetration was exceptional. Sighted in at 300 yds., the bullet drop is only -8". I don't consider myself a long range shooter, and all shots were less than 450 yds. I have another rifle chambered in the old classic that has somewhat shorter lead. This gun prefers the great 200 gr. Nosler partition, or the 200 gr. Trophy Bonded. My only dislike with the Vanguard is that the action is a bit short for this round. I simply seat them as long as the magazine allows. Are there better rounds? Of course. But if you want to hunt with a true classic, the 300 WEA won't let you down!
your statement about not getting anymore performance with more case capacity, isn't quite true. i shoot a 30-378 Wby. Mag. & i shoot Berger 210 VLD's at 3200 fps or a little more & my barrel isn't overly long, 28.25" if i didn't shoot this cartridge i'd probably do the 300 Wby. Mag. so i'm not knocking the cartridge.

just out of curiosity, why does the "freebore" suck, in your opinion?
Well, when you're chasing the lands for precision handloads, and in order to reach them the bullet is halfway out of the neck (or in the .257 Wby's case...Completely out of the cartridge before it hits), then you're dealing with some ****-poor designed bullcrap. Therefore, feebore sucks if you're a handloader trying to make accurate handloads for your rifle.

Hey,

I've had a 300wby for about 30 years, it's a 700. It has killed everything I've ever shot it at, no tracking required, couple moose, numerous caribou, African game, aoudad, whitetail. It's an MOA rifle with various 180gr bullets, it even shoots the 130gr Barnes well. It likes RL22, but 22 isn't all that temperature stable. I get some pretty good temp swings in Interior AK. Recently I have been testing some of the new "extreme" series powders. RL26 May be my new go to hunting load powder. I do have a few pounds of 22 to burn up so I'll keep loading rounds to shoot for it. If I could only have one rifle it would be a very difficult decision, the 300wby or the 7-08. Killed my first moose with the 7-08, before I got the wby. I'd probably have to go with the wby it's just way more versatile. I'll be carrying it on a trip to Kodiak island in the fall and if Mr. Brown Bear decides I'm dinner, some 180gr TSX's at 3100 FPS will convince him I don't taste very good.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the .300 WBTY, just not a fan of any proprietary chamberings. My .30 LARA however can shoot the .300 WBTY factory ammo in a pinch.

View attachment 126128
This could also be done in a 300 Jarrett chamber too in a pinch! You just couldn''t reload it after it was Fire Formed though.

Your .300 LARA looks alot like a 300-8mm Mag/300 Jarrett, but of which were great cartridges, and a lot more accurate then the 300 Wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.