Why not Howa / LSI?

silverhair

I see most other brands of rifles noted in the forum comments, but rarely, if any, mention of Howa or LSI. Is there a problem with these rifles? They seem to produce guns in widely used calibers and have a variety of models. It's also easy to get barreled actions for building a budget custom gun.

Great question. Regarding the barrels actions, I only wish they had a barrel nut for easy(ier) barrel swaps. It was the only thing holding me back when I was in the market for a project rifle. Seems to me that fella and his lady co-worker/friend in Australia (Mark and Sam) picked up a Howa barreled action, put things together and had a very very accurate rifle at extreme long range.

I have 2 of the Mini Howa's- 222 Rem and 6.5 Grendel. I like them a lot, but the magazines are poor in all respects, and LSI is not interested in fixing them or changing them to a blind mag. set up.

Great question. Regarding the barrels actions, I only wish they had a barrel nut for easy(ier) barrel swaps. It was the only thing holding me back when I was in the market for a project rifle. Seems to me that fella and his lady co-worker/friend in Australia (Mark and Sam) picked up a Howa barreled action, put things together and had a very very accurate rifle at extreme long range.
You can get a barrel nut setup from McGowen barrel. This is the route I am going with my 308 when I rebarrel it.

Thought I read that Howa makes the Weatherby Vangaurd.
They do. Also, the old S&W 1500 bolt actions were also made by Howa. I do wish I had bought one back in the day, just to have it in the safe today, as they are not very common anymore. They were dirt-cheap, too. I also still kick myself for not buying a bunch of the Steyr SBS ProHunters that we used to sell at the gun store by the truckload (literally) for $399 blued, $449 stainless...Employee discount was even cheaper. I would love to have both a stainless 7mm-08 and 7mmRM matching set.

Here in Colorado in one of our many burn scars. That's about all I'm willing to share as to location. I should have a 4th season buck tag in the same area for 2020 season. I could have drawn it this year but decided to go after a bull elk for her, and I've only got so much vacation time.

I bought a heavy barreled HOWA 1500 Mountain rifle Back in the 90s. It's 308 cal. I have owned many 308 rifles and sold them but this HOWA is so accurat with my custom handloads it's mine for life.

Howas are good rifles, for sure.
They make the current Weatherby branded rifles.
HOWEVER...Customer support from LSI is a bad joke at best!
I asked for a user's manual... got no response, then "we don't have these."

SHEESH!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.