Why not a 300 wby?

Had a wonderful dream that involved a warehouse full of the most beautiful wood blanks you could find. It was Roy Weatherby's!
Didn't even get dressed all the way and forgot a boot but I think there was skipping involved all the way to the wood shed. To open the door and see the same hundred blanks that were there yesterday has got me so angry I could spit fire.
Roy was not just ahead of his time with rifle building, his collection of wood is some thing that can only be dreamed about.

Had a wonderful dream that involved a warehouse full of the most beautiful wood blanks you could find. It was Roy Weatherby's!
Didn't even get dressed all the way and forgot a boot but I think there was skipping involved all the way to the wood shed. To open the door and see the same hundred blanks that were there yesterday has got me so angry I could spit fire.
Roy was not just ahead of his time with rifle building, his collection of wood is some thing that can only be dreamed about.

In case you did not know, we have a resident expert in wood stock and his workmanship is a masterpiece ...

http://russoriflestocks.com/

I have been lurking here a long time, you can get lots of knowledge and some very diverse opinions on all things long range, at 160 pds I carry a 340 Wby for Moose and a 300 win mag for anything bigger then deer but not Moose, I don't just want to kill my animal, I want to see it Go Down , IE little or not raking involved. I rarely see the 300 Wby mentioned, am I missing something? If you shoot a 300 Wby let's hear your take on them, and your favorite reloads for whatever you use it on.
Beforever I started reloading for a 300 weatherby I would try 180partions or the barnes bullets in factory ammo I own a custom kreiger barreled accumark and 180gr partition is all I ever shot in it it shoots them that well I can live with the price of ammo Remember your on a hunt that you pay for why not have a proven round to hunt with

I have been lurking here a long time, you can get lots of knowledge and some very diverse opinions on all things long range, at 160 pds I carry a 340 Wby for Moose and a 300 win mag for anything bigger then deer but not Moose, I don't just want to kill my animal, I want to see it Go Down , IE little or not raking involved. I rarely see the 300 Wby mentioned, am I missing something? If you shoot a 300 Wby let's hear your take on them, and your favorite reloads for whatever you use it on.

I have both a 300 WM and the 300 Weatherby. I love my WBY and have taken several Elk with it. With the extra case capacity I am now loading the 200 grain bullets and may go up to the 210. (Twist rate challenges) My 300 WM is now loaded with 190 LRAB from Nosler and this is a new load for me so I don't know how it will perform. To be honest as you have indicated there is a lot of information on the 300WM and not so much with the 300WBY. There is a jump from the case to the lands on the WBY so you don't have the ability to push the bullet out to the lands and still get it into the magazine unless you have a barrel chambered to do it. I love my WBY and it is my go to rifle for ELK.

On the other hand if a 300weatherby don't fit your pistol , I would got to the 340 with the barnes 225 or 250gr partitions , or better a 30378 180gr speer grand slam 108grs n217 federal gold metal match primer my rifle performs great with it , if reloading don't use anything but a neck sizing die for the big case

I started with a .300 WBY in a custom P17 Enfield action and hunted successfully with it for fifteen years or so. The barrel started to wear out and I switched to .300 Win because it was cheaper to find good barrels in that calibre. I loaded the same bullets and when I was finished with the crono I was getting the same velocities I had achieved with my Weatherby - about 3200 fps with a 180 gr Nosler Part. and I won't tell you how much R22. They both had 26 inch barrels, but the .300 Win was stainless. Since then I can't see any reason for going back to a Weatherby.

This year, when I go for Moose, I'll carry my Sako, it shoots 180 gr Nosler accubond in a Norma case pushed by 83.5 gr of IMR 7828, in Noslers book it's not their hottest Load or their most accurate , but it's the most accurate load in my rifle and it's not bad on the shoulder ,this is out of a 26 in barrel, no brake.

If I need more hp than my 300 wm, the 300 bee doesn't come to mind. That's when the 33 cals come play.
The 300 bee is closer to the 30-378 bee in terms of practical use. How many of those do you see comparatively? The whole diminishing returns principle really shows.
I suspect Roy would have chambered(freebore) his guns differently if slower powders would have been more widely available.

Been shooting one for 30 years. 180 TTSX over 82.5 grains of 7828.Killed everything from prairie dogs thru Moose including a couple dozen Elk. Mine is a Mark 5 Ultra lite.
Pretty accurate not exceptional.
Have a second one also. A model 70 that I load 150 grain accubonds at 3550 fps that was my long range Antelope getter.

I owned a 300 for 30years the reason your barrel wore out you shot to much hot burning powder burn out the leads , every one says use federal primers I tried win mag primers and tighten up my groups and got submoa, groups with norma powder never switched them , but it all in what you want , Douglas barrel and kreiger sell top of the line barrels I'd try 83.9 grs of mrp, and 180gr spire point , from Hornaday, or 83.4 for a partition , use the factory seating depth

i shot a wby mag with 180 accubons for years for elk, caribou and it really is a great rifle ! recoil is heavy but if you shoot the 340 its not much different ! its definitely a great rifle and cartridge running around 3000fps !

My dad hunted with a German made 300 weatherby from about 83 or 84 up until his death in 2010 . I personally seen him shoot 100's of whitetail with it . Our state has a very high allowance or tags . He shot 180 Hornady for a very long time it was always bang flop. He sarted in the mid 90 shooting noslers yp until that point no deer had ever took a step after the shot. He only shot the noslers one season due to deer running afterwards. There is a maple tree up at our camp that has a big scar from one the Hornady going completely through it and still killing the deer behind it. At that time it was roughly the size of a coffee can lol . Now my oldest son has the same gun gave it to him on his 16 th birthday. He shot it for the first time last week . Shot almost a box of ammo and looks at me and said can't wait till deer season.

you didnt say what type of moose you hunt, ive taken 6 in the last 7 years in alberta and used a 7mm rm and stw the moose did not go 10 yards ! recently went to 300wsm with 180 accubon and it dropped a big moose in its tracks last year !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.