Why I want a 25 creedmoor because it's the perfect caliber.

While I feel your pain, an ABolt is not the worst choice in the world. I have one and while the barrels are rough and prone to copper fouling for the first couple of hundred rounds after that it is the gravy train. Expect around 150 to 200 round out of the box before it settles down and does less than 1 MOA. Keep the barrel clean, no copper fouling and it is a tack driver. Same action and barrel as the X bolt, just less expensive and shoots just as well.
Nothing against the A Bolt. This was probably 15 years ago. Just didn't care for the look of the flat sided bolt and really like the CRF Model 70s. Really think that anyone that had an issue with the Winchester Rifles that were manufactured right before the time when Winchester went out of business and Browning picked them up got a raw deal. There was a labor dispute and Winchester went out of business. Was told that when the labor dispute was going on some firearms were not made to specifications. I can't and won't say that the rifle we purchased at the time was intentionally made at a lower standard, but when I sent the Model 70 back for repair to Browning, Browning refused to return the rifle back to us due to SAFETY issues. I could not even get the rifle back even if I wanted no repair and just wanted it back. I wanted it back and Browning would not release it. They said that it was already taken apart and no longer available. They probably thought that if I had the rifle back that I had physical evidence of an unsafe firearm and that I could file for a Law Suit against them. No rifle back to us-no evidence.
I could say a lot more about the Labor Dispute and what went on at that time in Winchester, but there may be Winchester Union employees that worked there at this era and are on the Forum.
I just think that Winchester Firearms were some of the GREATEST rifles ever made and the people that made them were true craftsmen and craftswomen. It was sorry to see the company go out of business.

Ok so balisticly the 25creed is better because out of a 22" tube it pushes a bullet of higher BC faster than a 6.5creed dose itj a 26" tube. Also it has better barrel life than all the 6mm bores.
You're really going to have to work hard to convince me this is true using equal heavy for caliber bullets.

I seriously don't see how it can be but as always, I love to learn.

If a 25 creedmore is good a .22 can only be better! Not finding any large rifle primers for almost 2 years, I now have 4K small rifle primers and 6 creed lapua small primer brass. Couple thousand heavy Berger and Hornady bullets and will soon have a 7.5 twist barrel.
That's the word on the street! I'v a 6Creed also, and I'm still trying talk myself into a 22 Creed barrel..........

The 2fitty Hillbilly uses the slow twist 1-10.
Only because the fast barrels weren't available when that designated name was dubbed. The 2fity hillbilly is the cartridge name, not the barrels name. It was tested using the 100+ grain range bullets when initial testing was done simply because nothing heavier than the 120 grain 10 twist friendly bullets were available. The 2fity hillbilly (25 CM) has a little more capability today as do all the .257s.

You're really going to have to work hard to convince me this is true using equal heavy for caliber bullets.

I seriously don't see how it can be but as always, I love to learn.
Ya he's pretty much correct on that statement. The 131 BJ has roughly a .335 BC. To get that same BC in a 6.5 bullet, you'd need a 144-147 and getting that up to the same speed as the 131, isn't really possible with only a 4" longer barrel with the same cartridge. It's kinda why I built my 25-284. I can push the 131s faster and flatter out further than the 140 class 6.5 bullets.

2 years ago i built a 257 Creedmoor as i call it so there is no confusion with know other ammo . i used a 7 1/2 Brux barrel #7 contour, target Savage action , this 257 Creedmoor shoots very good 3/8 hole maybe better, my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger precision bolt rifle shoots 1/2 inch sometimes a little better. 131 gr. Black Jacks shoot well but the Berger 135 gr. VLD bullets work the best for me in the .257 caliber bullets for accuracy out too 400 yards so far. have not used the Hammer bullets to much yet but this bullet so far shoots well too. to get the better accuracy i had Whidden dies machined me custom dies to fit my chamber exactly for the 257 Creedmoor and this did make a consistent difference for much better 5 shot groups . i use only Lapua brass for this cartridge.

Last edited:
I don't have a 25 creedmoor, but I have a 25 souper (25-308). I have had it for at least 10 years. I had it built because I thought it would be a great little round for coyotes as well as the Blacktail deer I love to hunt. And it is.
I have 25 souper on a Arisaka action, kind of a neat cartridge. But I like 257 Roberts better. I've killed quite a few mule deer with the 257 Roberts, it's all you need. Not much ballistic difference between 25 creed, 25/308 or 257 Roberts. My 257 Roberts is an 80's model 70 featherweight. One of my favorite rifles.

It's really a 25 Thompson Center.
Best Name I've heard Yet! "25TC". So why not just stick with 130 Grain Bullets in 6.5mm? I'm leaning towards the Souper, and curious about necking down thickness issues from .308? Long Range would definitely prefer the 25-06 AI. Just Great, now I've got to mock up the 25FMD! Madness! How thick is 270 necked down? Anyone?

Best Name I've heard Yet! "25TC". So why not just stick with 130 Grain Bullets in 6.5mm? I'm leaning towards the Souper, and curious about necking down thickness issues from .308? Long Range would definitely prefer the 25-06 AI. Just Great, now I've got to mock up the 25FMD! Madness! How thick is 270 necked down? Anyone?

While 308 cases are doable, I use .260 cases. Just one pass in a sizer and the are ready to go. Next best is using 243 cases and use a carbide expander mandrel to expand the neck.

OMG! I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 25 Sherman on 270 Brass looks PERFECT. How will I ever live with myself.

The only reason I jumped ship on 20-06 was the lack of bullets back then compared to 30 cal but now there are many .25 bullets on the market and probably more that I don't know about.
I think you should pull the trigger GrayCreed and report how well it shoots so we all get to want one.
I meant 25-06 not 20-06.Sorry as it didn't make any sense.
It's old age I tell ya

Nothing against the A Bolt. This was probably 15 years ago. Just didn't care for the look of the flat sided bolt and really like the CRF Model 70s. Really think that anyone that had an issue with the Winchester Rifles that were manufactured right before the time when Winchester went out of business and Browning picked them up got a raw deal. There was a labor dispute and Winchester went out of business. Was told that when the labor dispute was going on some firearms were not made to specifications. I can't and won't say that the rifle we purchased at the time was intentionally made at a lower standard, but when I sent the Model 70 back for repair to Browning, Browning refused to return the rifle back to us due to SAFETY issues. I could not even get the rifle back even if I wanted no repair and just wanted it back. I wanted it back and Browning would not release it. They said that it was already taken apart and no longer available. They probably thought that if I had the rifle back that I had physical evidence of an unsafe firearm and that I could file for a Law Suit against them. No rifle back to us-no evidence.
I could say a lot more about the Labor Dispute and what went on at that time in Winchester, but there may be Winchester Union employees that worked there at this era and are on the Forum.
I just think that Winchester Firearms were some of the GREATEST rifles ever made and the people that made them were true craftsmen and craftswomen. It was sorry to see the company go out of business.
I hear ya,I love Winchester rifles.
The last new Winchester rifle I bought I paid around 1000.00 for it,stainless steel 270 win featherweight rifle that shoots great if I do my part and is of course a controlled round feed.