Why doesn't anyone talk about 270 Win?

I agree with MOA, while calibers have increased dramatically in the last twenty years, and powder selections have filled in obvious gaps in the burning rate spectrum, bullets had not matched the pace.

The real reason the .270 has not created excitement recently is the fact it was designed in the 1930's. Since shooting is basically an application of applied physics and since manufacturers want to sell weapons, creating new calibers to allow us to play with makes the manufacturers ultimately happy. The .270 has been fine from inception, but it hasn't been "new"in 80 years!

New bullets have , at long last, provided the shooter with really finite accuracy and they both expand without blowing up at short range and also expand reliably at really long range, which is the paradigm this forum is based on. Bullets, really, are what sunk the .264 Magnum versus the 7mm mag. They blew up at short range at such very high velocity and those that did not sometime failed to expand at really long range.

Not all "new" bullets are great for hunting. I was told of the extreme accuracy of the Hornady SST's. In my new 6.5 x 284, assembled to benchrest standards, these bullets were the most accurate I ever shot in a hunting rifle. The first prone 100 yard group produced a nice round hole slightly larger than the diameter of the bullet and I was "hooked". I got unhooked when taking a 16"+ Antelope in New Mexico at 300 yards when the core separated from the jacket. I sent the remainder to Hornady and somehow that piece got lost at the Factory. I now use Nosler Accubonds and I am very pleased with the accuracy and expansion allowing easy trailing on White tail deer in forest settings.

So, yes there was a lack of bullet selection for .270's for many years, still a lot of game was taken with these rifles. Nowadays anything you want to do with a .270, you can for all practical purposes with the excellent bullets available. Remember the animals are mammals and have not developed armor plate in 10,000 years. Their lungs and heart will give out when pierced by a modern bullet and they will die!

Very nice dig! :D:):cool:

That the next caliber I plan to build as a Deer rifle(on a Springfield action)this is for my Daughter.
the .270 is one of the Three Kings for Deer, and just about any thing you can hunt on 4 legs.
Its a damned good calibre it will kill any thing on the game list, but the 270 is the smales Caliber for Bear.

For years I was a 270 hater because of bullet selection, A couple years ago I started shooting a lot of accubonds so when I aquired my 270wsm I loaded up 140 accubonds I shoot a lot of coyotes with it and it shoots great then this year I shot a couple deer and an antelope at closer ranges 200-300 yards and the bullets performed great on those. I shoot most stuff through the shoulders if possible. I know this is a small sample to judge the bullets on but I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with it.
Mikegun)

That the next caliber I plan to build as a Deer rifle(on a Springfield action)this is for my Daughter.
the .270 is one of the Three Kings for Deer, and just about any thing you can hunt on 4 legs.
Its a damned good calibre it will kill any thing on the game list, but the 270 is the smales Caliber for Bear.
A friend of mine is a retired game warden. When he was in Alaska he was tasked with problem bear control ( The big brown kind) At the time I was shooting a 300 wby, He stated to me one day that I should try a 270. To which I said I had bought the 300 for moose and big bear. He then told me how he used a 270 to great effect on big bears. I thought before I spoke (for once) and asked " What kind sample do you base that statement on?" His reply rings in my ear to this day. Somewhere between 400-500 bears. Stunned I asked a bunch more questions. Partitions, headshots, and only twice did he need 2 shots were the answers. Yes he was a remarkable shot on game and the range. The point is if you place a properly constructed bullet within the parameters of it's capability in a killing shot you can kill effectively with the 270!
For long range work the 150 berger has a .531 BC The 150 SST and interbond have a BC of 525 and the Ballistic tips have a BC of 496. You can get over 3100 fps with AA3100 with these bullets. You are right up there in pressure so you do need to work that load up carefully. This carries over 1000#s of energy past the 800yd mark for ethical kills at longer range. It's not a 338 barn burner, but it is an efficient killer

A friend of mine has used a .270 for Moose for well over 30 years.
What are you wonting to hunt? You can use a A-MAX 150 by Hornaday and you have a great Moose and Elk Bullet.
You can use a 130 to 140 for Deer.
You can even use a 110gr Bullet.
As for Accuracy this is a great calibre and one heck of a hunting and target shooting round.
Don't blow off the .270 as a not perfict calibre, it will do the same thing as the .3006 and
in some cases do it better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.