Why doesn't anyone talk about 270 Win?

You will see an occasional 270 thread, but I think one of the biggest reasons you dont hear much about them, other than lack of bullet selection, is the 270 WSM. Also, when talking about LR "hunting" cartridges, the .277 cal starts getting on the small size for payload delivery and wound channel.

Mark

I think it is a very underrated caliber, but once you get into the 160grn class you are better off with the 7mm. I suppose the BC would be higher, but it they produced a 155grn with about a .650 BC, that would be phenomenal.

Tank

Its still a popular round, other calibers just have higher bc.

I have heard folks say that the 270 WSM smokes the 6.5x284 ballistics.

Yeah, I guess it can for the first few hundred yards, all in all up to 1000 yards they pretty are close ballistically (not much difference) except the 270 WSM comes with less barrel life and more recoil than 6.5x284.

The 270 win. is still an awesome caliber and still is a favorite to many hunters.

The Berger .277 150vld has a BC of .531. Pretty decent. I'm seriously considering going with a 270 WSM for the next long range hunting rig I put together.

I like the 6.5mm, but unless you are doing a custom barrel, rifle selection is rather limited. A 270WSM can be found in whatever flavor rifle you are in the mood for, it has some rockin horsepower, great guilt edge accuracy potential, and manageable recoil in a sporter weight hunting rig.

See how easy it is to talk yourself into a new rifle. :D

The Berger .277 150vld has a BC of .531. Pretty decent. I'm seriously considering going with a 270 WSM for the next long range hunting rig I put together.

I like the 6.5mm, but unless you are doing a custom barrel, rifle selection is rather limited. A 270WSM can be found in whatever flavor rifle you are in the mood for, it has some rockin horsepower, great guilt edge accuracy potential, and manageable recoil in a sporter weight hunting rig.

See how easy it is to talk yourself into a new rifle. :D

LOL, makes me wanna buy one!

Even if the 6.5 and 277 compared side by side with the same amount of energy, my bet goes to 277 for better knockdown. The larger diameter bullet always does better on game. Something with the shocking power.

I Have over 2500 though my win and it's still shooting good. The throat is heavily fire cracked though.

With the fire cracking, do you notice extreme accuracy changes with temp changes? I have a stock savage barrel that seems to change with the weather. One time out at 40 degrees and I get a good group, take the same load out later at 20 degrees and it is all over the place. Any thoughts?

Tank

With the fire cracking, do you notice extreme accuracy changes with temp changes? I have a stock savage barrel that seems to change with the weather. One time out at 40 degrees and I get a good group, take the same load out later at 20 degrees and it is all over the place. Any thoughts?

Tank
Run the load over a chronagraph at both temps. Most likely you are not achieving the same vel/pressure in the cold which is opening the group

My Rem 700 270 WSM is not my #1 gun, but I like it a lot. I got it about six months before Berger came out with their new 270 bullets. The gun was shooting pretty good before I settled in on the 150 VLD. The accuracy was great out to 600 yards on paper.
I loaned the gun to my son, when I got a chance to hunt elk with him this year. All I can tell you is the 150 VLD did a great job at 130 yds. I have always loved the 168 VLD for both long and short and so far the 150 has not let us down.
There is no reason to shy away from the 270's with some of the new bullets out there.
Good Luck

There is something about the 270 cal bullets that are just inherently deadly on game. The bullet function is predictable and stable as opposed to some cals.
Stoke a 169.5 Wildcat in a 270 WSM running 2900-3000 and you have something a little more interesting, I can't wait to get my grubby hands on some. It should put a guy into 1000yrd elk and about 1200 yrd deer comfortably.
I know a lot of people who wouldn't give up a 270 for anything, they just get it done!!
The 270 WSM is kinda the town bicycle, if haven't riden it you will.

I have to agree with bigngreen. There is just something about it. My cousin has killed so many bulls with his .270 its crazy!

Tank

Tank- I haven't but I'm expecting every next shot to be the last as far as accuracy. I'm just squeezing the last bit of juice from the lemon.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.