Talk about crazy check out picture

david g ranes

We were shooting out to 1200 yds yesterday and dougs 22 creedmoor was shooting really well shooting 85.5 grain Bergers and his barrel evidently sped up we heard what sounded like a ricochet and the next shot was fine the next shot there was dust kicked up out in front of us at about 25 yds I told him his bullets are blowing up just out of the barrel there was 5 of us there 4 of us seen it so I walked down there looked like lead splatter on some rock so any way he quit shooting that gun and we shot some different guns we had so I got a phone call today which is Monday our friend said guess what he found in his pickup said didn't have a clue it was a Berger bullet with the jacket shed the crazy part of it was the pickup was sitting 430 yds down the lane we were shooting on and 15 yds west of the road cannot see where the bullet impacted in the pickup bed anywhere it's just like it fell out of the sky the lead core retained 57.7 grains talk about crazy. David

Attachments

• 527A59AD-90A3-45BD-B306-75F910E7CC42.jpeg
    527A59AD-90A3-45BD-B306-75F910E7CC42.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 460
That is weird to say the least! I have no clue what happened there. But, what you are showing doesn't look like a ricochet. Hard to believe the jacket got "pulled " "blown" off either exiting the barrel or downrange .

I would be curious to find out what and why! Very strange. Did he ever shoot it again? Same thing happen again? Just that particular bullet only?
My mind wonders!! But that is nothing new! LOL
Yes the gun has been shot hundreds of times since after about ten shots it will start blowing up bullets about 50 yds from the barrel just a gray puff of smoke just weird how this one landed in the bed of a pickup down range and 30 yds to the right goes to show strange things happen. David

And it just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Just a WAG, but maybe there's a buildup in the barrel and after 10ish shots, it is strong enough to hold the jacket? Naa. Can't be that. But somehow, it appears the jacket is coming loose and separating about 30 yds. out.
I had 22/250 that I would shoot the 50 or 55gr. , I think blitz? bullets in it. I knew not to run em fast or they would blow up about 30 to 50 yds out. Slowing them down, they ran very accurate out to 300 yrds! But not exactly like what you are experiencing. It was a long time ago, memory sucks, but I'm sure mine would blow up at first shot if I ran em too fast. They were not designed for hi speed. It could be your Bergers aren't meant for the speeds of the 22 Creedmoor. You didn't tell us those speeds, or did you?

It's the 10 shot thing.....is it just this load or are others doing the same?
Any time he gets around 3300 fps but it has something to do with the barrel getting dirty Al's because he cleaned it to bare metal and got 20 shots before the first one blew up it kicked dust up about 50 yds in front of us then a few shots ok then some more blew up just strange how that one shed the jacket and bananaed wouldn't have ever known about it unless that old ford pickup was there. David

Any time he gets around 3300 fps but it has something to do with the barrel getting dirty Al's because he cleaned it to bare metal and got 20 shots before the first one blew up it kicked dust up about 50 yds in front of us then a few shots ok then some more blew up just strange how that one shed the jacket and bananaed wouldn't have ever known about it unless that old ford pickup was there. David
Then I would definitely stay at 3100....unless after 10 shots he changes from targets to DUCKS flying overhead😅

What's his twist rate on that gun?

Yes he dropped down on velocity but it will still eat bullets every few shots it looks like it has a rough spot in the barrel we think is contributing to what is happening we just can't figure out how a bullet sheds its jacket and the only thing we know for sure it hit was in the back of the pickup bed which had no damage but the lead core was bent like that David

Yes the gun has been shot hundreds of times since after about ten shots it will start blowing up bullets about 50 yds from the barrel just a gray puff of smoke just weird how this one landed in the bed of a pickup down range and 30 yds to the right goes to show strange things happen. David
Running way too hot of a load for that to be happening.

I'm pretty surprised nothing really bad has happened yet.

The only other thing I can think of that could be causing this would be a gain twist or super fast twist conventionally rifled barrel or at the far outside of possibilities a really bad burr in the crown but that should be affecting every shot.