Why do you use Match bullets hunting?

Why do you use Match bullets for hunting, or do you?

• Because they are most accurate from my gun and I don't handload!

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Because I'm careful with shot placement and want all energy dumped in animal.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I do handload and still prefer and use match bullets for hunting.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I use them for deer size animals only, 300lb and up I use a hunting design.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Using match bullets for hunting deer size or larger animals is not wise.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Only hunting bullets for me, Penetration is required for my hunting at any angle.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • It's what I could fined/buy, and I see many videos of people shooting them. Should be good!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only use certain match bullets that are known to be effective, shot placement is king.

Votes: 68 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I shot a bull wih a 180 gr hot cor moving at 2850fps from the muzzle at 110 yards, broadside, ever so slightly quartering away. Clipped a rib on entry. Double lung. No blood. No exit. Nearly lost my marbles.

The bull was piled up 30-40 yards away. Found the bullet shank beneath the skin on the opposite side. The bullet retained about 45% of it's mass. That hunting bullet basically fragged when it hit that rib. And I'm glad. The insides were sloshy and that bull dropped quickly. I'd say that bullet acted more like a match bullet than hunting bullet.

Unpopular opinion that I know so many who hunt with "match" style bullets share. These bullets are designed to dump their energy into whatever they come into contact with and when that happens to be something breathing the results can be messy yet result in a very quick ethical kill. This often results in meat loss which is a shame if you are a poor starving pioneer making your way through the Cumberland gap 200 years ago, but shouldn't be any cause to lose sleep for a modern hunter carrying/wearing thousands of dollars of modern hunting equipment. Back to my unpopular opinion, I don't care if a bullet grenades after blowing through the front shoulder of an animal. That animal will fold like wet cardboard and I can take pride in the fact that I gave that critter a quick and ethical death. The bits of the shoulder that are not edible will be left on the prairie for the coyotes, or brought home to make dog food. To summarize, I'll take a gut shot with a match bullet over a double lung with a traditional cup and core or mono bullet any day of the week. These are my opinions, any one is more than welcome to come hunting with me if they wish to see a demonstration.

Who really cares what your neighbor uses. I don't see the big debate. I use both, know your tool. All it is. Pick the right one for the job, guess what, more then one way to get a job done. The brand/method loyalty is nauseating. Confirmation from a bunch of strangers you made the right choice on a forum is a joke. Get a hobby.

"Match bullets" cannot all be thrown in the same bucket. Some are not good at all terminally, and some are inconsistent terminally, despite good precision as match projectiles.

However, several poly tipped "match" bullets just flat out kill far better than anything on the market, and they just so happen to have excellent BCs, resulting in extremely high hit rates and better danger space.

Unpopular opinion that I know so many who hunt with "match" style bullets share. These bullets are designed to dump their energy into whatever they come into contact with and when that happens to be something breathing the results can be messy yet result in a very quick ethical kill. This often results in meat loss which is a shame if you are a poor starving pioneer making your way through the Cumberland gap 200 years ago, but shouldn't be any cause to lose sleep for a modern hunter carrying/wearing thousands of dollars of modern hunting equipment. Back to my unpopular opinion, I don't care if a bullet grenades after blowing through the front shoulder of an animal. That animal will fold like wet cardboard and I can take pride in the fact that I gave that critter a quick and ethical death. The bits of the shoulder that are not edible will be left on the prairie for the coyotes, or brought home to make dog food. To summarize, I'll take a gut shot with a match bullet over a double lung with a traditional cup and core or mono bullet any day of the week. These are my opinions, any one is more than welcome to come hunting with me if they wish to see a demonstration.
Not sure I believe you, going to need to make that hunting trip with you to verify. Please let me know when, where and what to bring for my share!?! :)
James

CBEC9C4D-BF29-4453-833D-81F7DD4C4A45.gif

All comes down to shot placement, so yes all bullets will get the job done if put in the right spot.
Bottom line is use whatever floats your boat. This topic has been beaten to death for years.
If you don't like using match bullets then don't.
Why do you use hunting bullets?? What makes it a hunting bullet?? As long as it kills the animal clean and humane, what difference does it make?

All comes down to shot placement, so yes all bullets will get the job done if put in the right spot.
Bottom line is use whatever floats your boat. This topic has been beaten to death for years.
If you don't like using match bullets then don't.
Why do you use hunting bullets?? What makes it a hunting bullet?? As long as it kills the animal clean and humane, what difference does it make?
Huntinfool while it's been beaten to death for years, there are always new people and new shooters. So those that have beaten it to death can just not respond right? Or offer their great experience for the newbie's that haven't been around for the beaten to death threads. And I do use "some" match bullets for hunting there are many I would not use. I was just wondering if you have found any you didn't like, that might have been too varmint like, blowing into powder, instead of chunks, or pencil through's. I like the Berger large chunks for deer. I have seen too many videos of Barnes match burners penetrating too deep before they open or tumble, often would be out or near out of deer size game before server damage would occur. But they may work very well for elk?

Last edited:
Not on the poll but should be:
"Hunting bullets don't offer the highest BC advantage that long range Match bullets provide"

Those of us that shoot animals regularly past 600yds understand what a BC means in forms of wind bucking ability. Also "hunting" bullets don't reliably expand at the impact velocity of extreme longrange shots like 900+ Yards shots like thin skinned match bullets.

Bullet companies market to the masses, we are a small specialized sect!
Happy hunting
James