Why did SOCOM ditch the .300NM for PRC?

As someone said earlier, Hornady is an American company and currently the largest bullet manufacturer in the world. Pretty easy to see the politics in that, especially given the questionable business background of anything from Sweden - the self-proclaimed "most liberal country in the world" where many of their dearest ethnic & cultural traditions are being overrun by the wave of mid-eastern immigration. Before long they'll be voting on whether to adopt Sharia...and I can see the present regime's hesitation to commit to a business relationship with any European entity under those circumstances.

Sorry, I'm off the soap box now. Several business acquaintances visited that country recently and reported some truly shocking changes - things our media would never want us to know.

I heard the same account, but it was regarding the .300 Weatherby. Anyone know if that's correct? Perhaps just similar experience in testing with the Norma?

There are no issues with ullage issue with norma, wont go into detail. But anyway, anyone have a link to the article showing an this issue with 300 weatherby? Hornady is quite good at the sales pitch. PRC. Its a precision rifle cartridge, it has to be better...

The ASR is .338 Norma, .300 Norma, and 7.62x51. Some one off units have bought .300 PRC rifles but that is not SOCOM at large. These units have deep pockets and can buy whatever they want.

My Dear Remy,
The 300 PRC is a "300 Creedmoor". ;o)

Supposedly Hornady worked with the Army on the development of the 300 PRC.
What that probably means is the Army said, "We want this, this and this in a 30 caliber sniping cartridge." and Hornady, said "Sure Uncle Sugar." and went ahead and gave them a ".300 Win mag Improved" that would easily accommodate long, heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Hornady has a Youtube video on the development of the 300 PRC. Interesting "selling points".

Eric B.

P.S I happen to know from a relative close to the project that the Army has around 8 to 10 teams working hard on improving things like communications/ELINT, small arms, mechanized infantry, robotics for everything from hauling ammo and gear to hauling casualties and being armed for unmanned assault.
SO... my bet is the choice of the Barrett MRAD in 300 PRC is one of the results of this larger initiative. Since the US military already has a big pistol contract with SIG maybe they will add SIG sniper scopes with the reticle level indicators. Couldn't hurt.

It's the government, should have just stayed or went with the 300WM alot more ammo suppliers than one makes no sense in a pinch to be stuck relying one one supplier.
But the government does alot of things that make no sense.

I read an article that related to the pressure inconsistencies caused by shooting at various angles with the 300NM compared to the PRC. The NM was having issues when the rifle was canted past a certain angle. IDK if this is the sole reason, but i believe it may be a contributing factor.
I think that they were wanting to run h1000 in the Norma. I don't use h1000 in mine but I assume it doesn't fill the case up. I run n570. It nicely fills the case. But I all I have heard about either the prc or NM being used has just been internet article writers. I'm kinda skeptical to alot of that kind of information, I'm not saying that there isn't some amount of truth to any of it but we all know how fake news works.

These contracts go out and almost always get protested by those companies not selected. When protested, the governments legal folks get involved and even congressional representatives. The source selection board has to be able to defend there selection. The easiest way to defend their selection (winning offeror) is to align with the original solicitation scoring mechanism or factor(s). Cost is almost always near or at the top. So I absolutely would take it with a grain of salt and not put too much into performance. The source selection board usually wants to be able to say company X was chosen because they scored the best (lowest cost).

Last edited:
The 300 PRC won a limited quantities contract in the Barrett MRAD. The ASR program as a whole is still using 300 NM. I am intimately familiar with this. Also, you have to consider how contracts are done in the military. When this unit bought the 300 PRC, SOCOM had already completed operational testing and evaluations. You cannot just change caliber at the last minute.

I think that they were wanting to run h1000 in the Norma. I don't use h1000 in mine but I assume it doesn't fill the case up. I run n570. It nicely fills the case. But I all I have heard about either the prc or NM being used has just been internet article writers. I'm kinda skeptical to alot of that kind of information, I'm not saying that there isn't some amount of truth to any of it but we all know how fake news works.
Retumbo. Also, the explanation from tm7554 could not be more accurate. Its one thing to toss around "performance" on this forum, but when it comes to gov buying munitions. They field a weapon and buy a ton of ammo to go with that weapon. When buying hundreds of thousands, or millions of rounds an extra 20 fps MV or 50ft lb of energy at 1500m really don't mean much. cost is the driving factor.

What's your load data. I just got a 300 Norma I plan to run N570 in

Willib9,
What is the "ASR" program?
WHEN did the300 Norma mag. come into use?

As far as I know the only 300 mag cartridge used by Army snipers is the .300 Win mag in the old M24 Remington 700 actions now found (repurposed?) in the XM2010 sniper Cadex metal chassis rifles.

Eric B.

Willib9,
What is the "ASR" program?
WHEN did the300 Norma mag. come into use?

As far as I know the only 300 mag cartridge used by Army snipers is the .300 Win mag in the old M24 Remington 700 actions now found (repurposed?) in the XM2010 sniper Cadex metal chassis rifles.

Eric B.
The ASR is the advanced sniper rifle. The program went out for bid in 2017 for 7.62x51, .300NM, and. 338 NM. Barrett recently won the contract with their MRAD rifle. Once I looked like the winner would be the MRAD, another group went out and purchased the same MRAD rifles but with 300 PRC barrels instead of .300 NM barrels. This was a limited quantity purchase for this particular unit but, the rest of regular SOCOM will get the ASR as it originally went out for bid.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.