Socom 458 or newer 375 socom

etisll40

The 375 Socom looks interesting for woods whitetail,black bears or Hogs. Anyone played around with it. Thoughts? I've got a barreled action I'm thinking about having rebarrelled into something hard hitting.

I've got a RRA 458 SOCOM and really enjoy shootng it. But I don't see the purpose of chambering a bolt rifle for the SOCOM. Chamber in 45-70 and load according to your needs.

I've got a RRA 458 SOCOM and really enjoy shootng it. But I don't see the purpose of chambering a bolt rifle for the SOCOM. Chamber in 45-70 and load according to your needs.
I have a few single shot 45-70 and like them but I haven'y heard anyone say a 45-70 would work in a bolt gun, something about ejecting rounds? Maybe a smith will chime in on that. The socom rounds look sleek.

The OAL of the 45-70 poses some problems, especially in short actions. Moreso, the rim can cause major feeding headaches.

The shorter OAL and rimless design of the SOCOM rounds make feed and function in short action receivers more reliable.

I'd go with the 375 SOCOM over 458 as a "do all" cartridge. It's performance is very similar to the 375 JDJ which has been around for a long time and works very well.

Building it on a bolt action will give you more room to play with different bullets. The short OAL of a 5.56 mag can limit some of the 375 bullets that will fit and cycle through the action of an AR.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.