Who still shoots the old 06

2021. Browning X-Bolt LR with barrel shortened to 22" and threaded. 168gr Speer Gold Dots took this fella.

XBolt Heavy.JPGIMG_3942.JPG

I don't have one 30-06 …..
I have two of them! LOL
If I can't get it done with one of them then it's not the rifle's fault.

That's funny, I have 2 also, the old Rem.700 I have had since I was a teenager. That was in the 70s, and I picked up a Vanguard about 15 years ago.
Lately I have been playing with Barnes ttsx 130gr, this thing been making Bugholes. Fun to shoot. 👍🎅

Im up to 7 and I have them in bolt, pump, semi and lever, the only one I don't have is a single shot.

Sorry if this is in the wrong location as I am very new to this forum. I have a 30 caliber problem and somewhat of an addiction. I have recently started down the rabbit hole of reloading, and learning every second of the way!
Anyway, this year I decided to venture out and build/develop a 30/06. I did get lucky enough to elk hunt the past 4 years, and i LOVE my 300WM Bergara but I am planning to suppress my hunting gun as i had a plug slip last year as I was putting the 2nd round into my 1st bull, who had just gotten up from a double lung shot at 500 yards and I think I am still ringing from it HA! And I know 500 yards is not "long range" but to a woods guy such as myself where I live, shotting 500 yards is not likely, so range time is all i get!
I decided to build a 30/06, I know it is not the newest and greatest or the best, but I did not want to add a suppressor on to a magnum and have an additional 6" hanging off the barrel. This year when I hunted, the weather was warmer so I was in the timbers more than i have been in the past and having a barrel that was 26" was enough walking through that!

Anyway, figured i would see if there is anyone still shooting the old rounds out there. I suppose I should get with the times and buy something newer, but they just seem to worry me about which one will take off, and which one will not last. I am not sure if i will ever be a good enough reloader to reload my hunting rounds, because I have not even gotten all of my components yet! so i wanted to stick to something commercially available.. Call me scared i reckon!

Why not just cut down your 300wm barrel for the suppressor?

Also, I have no love for the '06. I'd take the 308 winchester over the '06 19/20 times. As a reloader, I'm very aware the '06 is a baby step up in velocity. IMO the '06 is a faux magnum.
All that said, if someone loves the '06, more power to you. Hope you get what you're looking for.

I don't have one 30-06 …..
I have two of them! LOL
If I can't get it done with one of them then it's not the rifle's fault.
I have 3 because they seem to be the first caliber someone is willing to part with. And I suppose because manufacturers made so many of them. I will buy a 30-06 all day long for the right price. lol

I have 3 because they seem to be the first caliber someone is willing to part with. And I suppose because manufacturers made so many of them. I will buy a 30-06 all day long for the right price. lol
You owe no one an explanation for why you have X amount or like/love the venerable -06. Have fun with them.

I still shoot mine! A Remington 700, which was my first rifle my parents got me for Xmas about 30 years ago.

I don't hunt with it regularly nowadays but it still makes it to the range. If I happen to be wondering if I am having a bad day shooting or the other gun has something off, it will tell me. It is consistent, accurate, and I will always have it around!

I've had bolts, pumps, semi auto, coveted a lever more than once.

I'm down to 1 my single shot.

View attachment 521941
The lever is the only one I'd consider selling, it's an 1895 Repro but i rarely shoot unsuppressed so it isn't getting used and I could use the funds to get something I'd shoot more. Plus my brother has a nicer one I could borrow if I wanted to hunt with it.

I considered a single shot for a while but at this point I'm happy with my Sharps but I may eventually get a C Sharps in 30-40 or 30-30 if I can get them to put muzzle threads on it.