Who still shoots the old 06

I still shoot it now and then, Springfield 03 "C" shock and it still has it. 😉 👍 Cheers

Springfield 1903 C stock.jpg

I am wanting a new all weather 06, and hope to have it by end of the next year. Gave my kid my favorite hunting 06 a year ago. Wish I had it still, as I don't like beating my old wood/blued 06's up anymore hunting. Luckily there are all kinds and in every configuration available to choose from.

I mount scopes and zero a lot of 30-06s for customers and I don't know that I have seen one that wasn't accurate. My son and I shoot his 1943 03-A3 all the time with downloaded reloads. Great Gun. Great Cartridge
I really wish my dad had not traded his rebarreled K98 in 30-06. It had some recoil but was fun to shoot.
Shot my first deer with a sporterized 03 my Grandpas gun. Dirt bag brother in law stole it and it's never been found. I still have my own first deer rifle a sporterized 98 from my Grandpa after the 03 was stolen.

I was a .270 Win man for over 25 years. Then started venturing into at least a couple dozen calibers. Turns out most of those rifles are now gone, and the rifle I reach for most often is a Rem 700 Titanium in .30-06. It's bedded in a McMillan BDL stock, has a Gre-Tan bolt shroud and TriggerTech trigger. And it's topped with a Swarovski Z8i scope.

My analogy on the ole 06 is this.....you can run all kinds of trick plays and schemes in football. But one thing that is practiced every single day is blocking and tackling. The .30-06 is the blocking and tackling of the firearm world. It gets the job done, time after time.

Husqvarna 1640 30.06, imr 4895, Barnes 150 ttsx gets me out to 500 yards with no problem in the accuracy department. Same as 338 dude, that cartridge has killed more than the others combined with authority
I'd shoot and zero a husky for a friend of mine every year. Every year I make him an offer. Every year he turns me down.

Last edited:
Sad to say, I've loaded 06's for friends and relatives since the 70's…..but never owned one until about 10 years ago. I bought a Ruger American, quickly developed a load for it, retired it to the gun safe!

I'll probably never use it, but it was dirt cheap in an after Christmas sale at Walmart…..just too good to pass up! memtb

Last edited:
I don't have one 30-06 …..
I have two of them! LOL
If I can't get it done with one of them then it's not the rifle's fault.
That's funny, I have 2 also, the old Rem.700 I have had since I was a teenager. That was in the 70s, and I picked up a Vanguard about 15 years ago.
Lately I have been playing with Barnes ttsx 130gr, this thing been making Bugholes. Fun to shoot. 👍🎅