Who says only bolt guns are accurate?

All rifles can be accurate if they are put together right and fed good ammo with a good shot behind them. the question is, is a bolt gun more accurate. Potentially yes because they have fewer moving parts during firing.

The more complicated you make a fire arm the harder it is to tune it and the chances for more issues. actions that have no moving parts during firing tend to be easier to load for, and potentially more accurate.

Its just simple mechanics.

I would love to have a Semi Auto that would consistently shoot 1/2 MOA. But that Is my starting/rejection point for a bolt action. Many will consistently shoot 1/4 MOA and the realy good ones will drop below 1/10th MOA. because of the lack of moving parts during firing.

This would be a good place to use the word "Inherently Accurate"
for bolt guns.

J E CUSTOM
If a custom bolt gun want shoot 1/4 MOA, You might be as well save your and buy a Walmart gun. I have a 338 that shot a 3/64 inch 3 group at 100. The whole reason for building a custom gun is accuracy. Precision guailty components, skilled gunsmithing and custom handloaded ammo is your key to accuracy

I usually come in at 1/4 MOA or under when I'm done with load development on a bolt gun. Bolt guns are precise. Gas guns are accurate. Technically field artillery is accurate too.

So you will only respect a semi if it outshoots a rail gun? How about shoot a group out of a real rifle and post it up and we'll talk.

First, the title of this thread is "Who says only Bolt guns are accurate"

I never said ARs are not accurate, they are accurate for what they are. The OP should be very proud of the accuracy he is getting out of his AR. I would be very proud to achieve that kind of accuracy with a gas gun.

I am not knocking the accuracy of a AR, but you just have to put it in perspective.

Second, the group I posted was not done with a rail gun, it was done with a 10 1/2 pound LV BR rig.
DSCN5218.JPG
I have shot sub .200" aggs (average of 5, 5 shot Groups in a row) with that rifle during a match.

This is my main rig that I shoot for the varmint Silo matches.
4747.JPG
Come shoot the Pala Varmint Silo shoot and hit 50/50 with your AR.

Do that with an AR and "We'll talk"

Last edited:
This group is from a DPMS G2 308. I have only made 2 changes from factory. The trigger and the buffer spring.
View attachment 144142
That's .75 moa seven shots.
Indeed. I have Aero precision 6.5 creedmoor I built with a 24 inch carbon fiber BSF barrel and have had as tight as 1/4 inch moa with factory Hornady rounds.

Attachments

• 20180716_122314.jpg
    20180716_122314.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
Has anyone heard of an XM-21 or M-21? a super accurized M-14 was more reliable and dependable than the bolt-gun platform in Vietnam. The SR-25 from Arma-Lite is a hyper accurate AR-10 platform, We have hyper accurized 10-22's, Mark 2,3,4's, there are whole parts of certain custom gunsmithing companies devoted to make hyper accurate semi-auto firearms. I own a hyper accurate M-1A (M-14 platform in semi-auto) nothing says a bolt gun is the only accurate platform. every since the 1960's the semi-auto has been a competing platform for super accurate, hyper reliable precision rifles. if you want to make your AR hyper accurate for a bit less than you expect. look up Brownell's on the net and get one of their house brand barrels for your AR, whether it be a 15 or a 10. these barrels are R-5 rifled Satern barrels. I own one and have been putting them on all my custom AR builds for clients. My personal gun can keep a 10 shot, .243" Dia. hole at 100 yards with 75 grain A-max or 75 grain match kings. BLC2 is the best powder I have found for my rifle. the gas system is a medium length so a slightly longer burning powder is needed to operate it. the best groups, most consistently accurate round is the 68-69 grain match bullets with BLC2. standard 55 grain over the counter ammo keeps less than a 3/8" group all day long. when you put one of these Brownell's barrels on, or have a gunsmith do it.. specify the torque range. the secret that Colt has is that they use a different torque on their match rifles. the range for match and precision is 28 foot pounds to 32 foot pounds of torque on the barrel nut. they also use an automotive product on the barrel nut's thread, it is silver/high temp "anti-sieze" found at your local auto parts store (NAPA specifically). you need to torque and loosen the barrel nut 3 times before a final torque. this is something passed down to me from MMU 'smiths and more than one custom AR builder. this technique works very well and over time you only loose 1 foot pound of torque. this is contrasted with as much as 10 foot pounds dry and one torquing.
later tatters.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.