Who says only bolt guns are accurate?

HMMM, following that logic a single shot should be the most supreme accurate action, either falling block / Ruger #1 or breech loading like an H&R Handi-Rifle, why don't we see these types of actions in long range competition?

Might it be because the bolt action actually holds the cartridge in a way as the bolt cams over and locks into firing position??? Something I've always wanted to ask a rifle smith...

Single shot rifles are very accurate in their function, But with no ability to actually compress the case for a ridge fit in the chamber and actually reduce the head space they don't have the same edge as a bolt action. the other potential problem with single shot action is that most have to use a two piece stock that can effect the ability to support the front and back of the action like a bolt action does.

Some of the old single shot falling block rifles were known for there accuracy but it is almost impossible to get one to shoot below 1/10th MOA because of the added areas of potential problems.

Bolt action single shots are some of the most accurate of the bolt guns if set up right and fed good ammo because of their added action strength.

J E CUSTOM

The norm used to be over a MOA. Anything consistently under an MOA was really good. Even to this day if a rifle consistently hits POA/POI day in and day out and is a 1.25 MOA I can live with that. But it's sure nice to get that rifle that shoots better than a MOA right out of the box.

I can remember when some were happy with paper plate accuracy, so the standard has definitely changed. 1 MOA is fine as long as the range is held to reasonable distances for hunting, But to be competitive 1/2 MOA or less is almost a must.

A 1/4 MOA is much better and 1/10 th MOA will separate the expert shooter from the good shooter. The rifle is only as good as the shooter and most of us need all the help we can get.

Accuracy Is realy what the shooter needs and will settle for. I would like to see a one caliber group, but I'm not going to hold my breath. but knowing that it is almost impossible, I'm still going to try.

J E CUSTOM

Maybe I am just old school being I am not in the AR platform realm but I have an old Springfield Armory M21 that shoots sub moa all day long at 500 yds and runs like a sewing machine. Just another auto that shoots lights out.

Anyone that's thinks an ar rifle won't shoot extremely well is just a little ignorant. What I've found with ar rifles is the gun Smith is just as important or more so than with bolt guns. I've had compass lake ar s, a 6mm fatrat built by lee wells, a Krieger barreled armalite ar10T, a craddok precision 224v and my newest toy is a custom ar15 in 6BR with a 26" bartlien tube. Just in load development now but it looks very promising. In our steel challenge matches ar rifles rifles that shoot in gas gun routinely score right up there with bolt guns be in the light gun class. Once in a while a gas gun will out score any of the bolt guns in light gun. When using some of the best equipment money can buy, it always comes back to the shooter and wind calls.

I have an S&W AR10 that shot a less than 1/4 minute 3 shot group at 710 yards in an up and down 5-15 mph wind with two shooters. Sometimes the planets align and something unbelievable happens
20181006_102156.jpg

If what JE Custom says is true, then the simplest actions would be the single shot falling block designs like Ruger #1, Sharps or Winchester. However, nearly everyone in long range matches shoot a bolt gun. Why is that?"

As the proud owner of way to many single shot centerfire rifles (according to my significant other), I can tell you why the Winchester's, Ruger #1's ,Sharps as well as the Remington rolling blocks don't compete.
The problem with the falling blocks and the rolling block Remington's is the same. They all have long lock times due to their hammer designs. that's why bolt guns have ruled the long range matches and benchrest matches for the last hundred years.

Single shot rifles are very accurate in their function, But with no ability to actually compress the case for a ridge fit in the chamber and actually reduce the head space they don't have the same edge as a bolt action. the other potential problem with single shot action is that most have to use a two piece stock that can effect the ability to support the front and back of the action like a bolt action does.

Some of the old single shot falling block rifles were known for there accuracy but it is almost impossible to get one to shoot below 1/10th MOA because of the added areas of potential problems.

Bolt action single shots are some of the most accurate of the bolt guns if set up right and fed good ammo because of their added action strength.

J E CUSTOM
I dont have the publication in front of me, but I read where the old falling block single shots ruled before the bolt gun became prominent . I'm talking the mid 1800s. If I get a chance I will look up the gentleman's name and exact record feat, but going from memory, he held the 200yd 10 shot record for many years with 10 shots in 3/8". I'd dare say it would be a rare gun/shooter to match that accuracy today, bolt gun or auto ! Remember too, that feat was accomplished without modern scope technology .

the old rattle trap rem pump has killed many deer to 300 yards and killed deer you would never had gotten with a bolt on the fly in thick brush on the second-third shot.

Attachments

• DSCN1144 (2).JPG
    DSCN1144 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • DSCN9450 (2).JPG
    DSCN9450 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • DSCN1118 (2).JPG
    DSCN1118 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
I dont have the publication in front of me, but I read where the old falling block single shots ruled before the bolt gun became prominent . I'm talking the mid 1800s. If I get a chance I will look up the gentleman's name and exact record feat, but going from memory, he held the 200yd 10 shot record for many years with 10 shots in 3/8". I'd dare say it would be a rare gun/shooter to match that accuracy today, bolt gun or auto ! Remember too, that feat was accomplished without modern scope technology .

There are many tales of extremely long shots with the falling block. Some have merit and some are just hearsay. one of the best examples of this is Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls shot. books say the shot that unhorsed a warrior at 1538 yards. some believe it was more like 1000 yards. Ether way, it was a heck of a shot. It is believed to be a 50/90 Sharps (A common rifle for Buffalo hunting).

There are other stories of the big Sharps and the rolling block Remington making unusually long shots, so back then they were the long gun of choice. Considering the technology of the day, they were very accurate (Notice I didn't use those Inherent words ;)).

J E CUSTOM

The story I spoke of was suppose to be an official record in some shooting organization. Again, from memory, it wasn't broken till sometime in the 1950s. I'm at the Dr, waiting to get a shot on my back right now. I will see if I can find the article when I get back home.

There are many tales of extremely long shots with the falling block. Some have merit and some a
re just hearsay. one of the best examples of this is Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls shot. books say the shot that unhorsed a warrior at 1538 yards. some believe it was more like 1000 yards. Ether way, it was a heck of a shot. It is believed to be a 50/90 Sharps (A common rifle for Buffalo hunting).

There are other stories of the big Sharps and the rolling block Remington making unusually long shots, so back then they were the long gun of choice. Considering the technology of the day, they were very accurate (Notice I didn't use those Inherent words ;)).

J E CUSTOM
Yes sir, one shot wonders like the supposed 1500yd shot are impressive , but leave far too much room for " luck ". Repeatable feats of accuracy hold far more relevance, to me anyway.
My long departed grandpa had quit a rep for accuracy in the Virginia hills where he grew up. He told me about the evening he cemented his name in legend among the locals . He and several friends were hanging around , drinking their local home brew around the campfire one evening. The subject of shooting ability came up in passing conversation. A couple of guys set in bragging on grandpa's shooting ability. One of them said he bet gramps could shoot a hickory nut out of the sky with his handy single shot 22 he had leaning against a tree next to him. Grandpa was in for a hail Mary try, but let on like there was nothing to such an easy shot. They WERE drunk. One guy said show me and at the same time picked up a nut and tossed it up. In one motion , gramps grabbed his rifle, pointed up and pulled the trigger. The hickory nut shot to the side and you could hear the tale tale sound of the 22 bullet whizzing as it bounced off . Grandpa calmly reloaded the single shot and gentle laid it back against the tree, grabbed his shine jar and slurped another swig . They all sat in disbelief at what they had just witnessed. Grandpa calmly said " nothing to it ". He told me he wouldn't have been able to repeat that shot if they gave him another week to try ! They didn't know that though, and he sure didnt tell them, lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.