Who has wssm or short mags

ARlife4me

I've been doing some contemplating about various short mags in ar platforms in either 15 or 10's. I've seen the place in CO and talked to them a couple of times on the phone. Who would have a good resource about these or own these types? I'm closer to the rcm and maybe saum than wsm. Although 6.5prc would be close, I'd say no to it and do 6.5saum instead. Getting a barrel with a good gas port size and length is extremely important as most know! I'm wanting a barrel in length from 20-26". No suppressor will be used. I just want something without a belt. I think it would feed better? I wish there was a single feed with possibility of double stack like Glock perfection ;) . David Tubb is starting up another business and I know he's doing ar barrels (hopefully chambering also). I say this as he said something about barrel extensions, so I'm guessing he might be chambering (if not already chambered). He mentioned blanks, so I need time to stop by and chat some more. Any help would be appreciated!

Without starting another thread I'm hoping for mag answers. For those with an AR in short mag chambers what mags are you using and with what followers? Pmags (m118 gen3/lr/sr) can give me a 2.830" coal as some others down to 2.810". I have various capacity mags (25, 20 and 10) for testing on function of feeding and capacity limits. So far depending on 308win capacity it gives around 70% with a 6.5prc round. With the follower being the biggest issue on round limits the less capacity (so far) is the better option unless there's an idea of how to improve the follower for better alignment inside the mag? Without buying mag limiters (-5) to test on 20 round mags (possible capacity between 10-12) to see if it helps on alignment for feeding and not binding. A few places I've talked to say they just use a standard 308win/7.62x51 mag and follower with their wsm and saum cartridges with reduced capacity (10 rounders)? Hoping for those with these type of cartridges to weigh in on what works for them.

Without starting another thread I'm hoping for mag answers. For those with an AR in short mag chambers what mags are you using and with what followers? Pmags (m118 gen3/lr/sr) can give me a 2.830" coal as some others down to 2.810". I have various capacity mags (25, 20 and 10) for testing on function of feeding and capacity limits. So far depending on 308win capacity it gives around 70% with a 6.5prc round. With the follower being the biggest issue on round limits the less capacity (so far) is the better option unless there's an idea of how to improve the follower for better alignment inside the mag? Without buying mag limiters (-5) to test on 20 round mags (possible capacity between 10-12) to see if it helps on alignment for feeding and not binding. A few places I've talked to say they just use a standard 308win/7.62x51 mag and follower with their wsm and saum cartridges with reduced capacity (10 rounders)? Hoping for those with these type of cartridges to weigh in on what works for them.
I have a 7mm wssm in an ar 15 I got from someone. I am using a magazine from JARD. I can load the bullets to 2.30 OAL, but for the 7mm cartridge that's really not long enough for any bullet above 130 gr. I am really not sure how that works with a ar-10 though. I would think that if you could get a flat follower then the feed lips will align the cartridge for feeding. Although if the feed lips have more than a 1/2 inch or so gap in between them, the cartridge could slip out of the mag.

What about a Sherman Short Tactical (SST)? They come in 6mm, .257", 6.5mm, and 7mm. Shorter than a SAUM case, 30° shoulder, and fit better in a SA while allowing the bullet to be seated out further at the same COAL as a SAUM.
L-R:
6SST, 25SST, 6.5SST, 6.5SS
20201224_225022.jpg

L-R (all set up for SA)
SST, SS, SAUM, PRC, PRC/SI, WSM
20230813_123728.jpg

What about a Sherman Short Tactical (SST)? They come in 6mm, .257", 6.5mm, and 7mm. Shorter than a SAUM case, 30° shoulder, and fit better in a SA while allowing the bullet to be seated out further at the same COAL as a SAUM.
L-R:
View attachment 485462

L-R (all set up for SA)
View attachment 485463
That would be the perfect mid ground between the wsm and wssm.

What's the benefit of the sherman short with a bullet diameter of shank hanging out of the case? How is that better than the same bullet in a longer case at the same cbto/overall length?

What's the benefit of the sherman short with a bullet diameter of shank hanging out of the case? How is that better than the same bullet in a longer case at the same cbto/overall length?
It's really no benefit but for me atleast it gives me peace of mind knowing that my powder supply isn't getting taken up by bullet.

L-R:
View attachment 485462

L-R (all set up for SA)
View attachment 485463
I've looked at the Sherman line, but haven't really decided on what I would do? Knowing if I could ALWAYS get brass in specified case would be a help as long with someone to chamber it for AR's. There used to be a gunsmith within 20 miles of me, but moved. @bamban referred me to someone about 40 miles from me, but doesn't do AR barrels. I'm not sure how exact to gas port location is from bcg or if it needs to be within a few hundredths or thousandths to make it work? I can get an extension and headspace it, then the issue is having it ported on the top side and feed ramps down.

Keeps the bullet out of the powder column, and usually puts the base of bullet somewhere near or at the shoulder to body junction of the case. That is a great starting point for accuracy potential.
Plus, if you need to seat the bullet deeper for accuracy, it still has far less bullet stuffed into the case.

I'm awaiting on mags from LaRue that claim to have a coal of 2.870"? Hopefully correct and an all metal mag so the feed lips could be tweaked to H/S specs for best feeding?

The wsm and wssm stuff is easy to modify the follower for. Just remove some material on the side of the rib that sticks up on the top of the follower to allow the fatter cases to sit down on the follower right. Then the case doesn't sit awkward on the follower. You can also completely remove that top rib on the follower if you want to. I've done that to make mags work better. Dpms even did the remove the whole rib deal for their special mags for the 30 rem ar.

I have a 243 Wssm 1-8 twist and a 25 Wssm.
I share lowers (olympic umar) for them .
The umar lower allows you to seat bullets out longer.
But since olympic arms went out of business they are hard to find and the magazine is almost unobtainable.
I think that the 243 Wssm would benefit from a +2 gas tube. Talking to D-tec they told me to run faster powders on the 243 Wssm to help with pressure at the chamber.