Who says only bolt guns are accurate?

I don't think the best semi could hold a match to the best bolt gun for all those reasons. But for their purpose and within their intended parameters there are many situations where a semi is better or just as good as a bolt gun.
I have shot them all in my 70 years of reloading and target and hunting. I am learning now that with my new 6.5 Creedmoor upper I can just about out shoot my Rem 700 in 308 with all the good stuff on the Remington. Just do everything you would do to the bolt gun when shooting the AR 10 and there you go. Not much compaction out to to the 1000 yard mark but that's not my thing, I hunt.

There are some tricks that will help accuracy in some Semi autos like the AR, but in many cases these mods take away from many of the reasons for them in the first place. I have built some with 26" heavy barrels, chambered and head spaced them and also installed an adjustable gas block. I tune the gas block using ammo for the head space set to get the best harmonics and ejection for accuracy. Tuning the magazines is also a must. I number mine so I can use the best shooting one and try to tune the others the same. (I normally cant make them shoot the exact same but I can get them close).

These heavy , long barreled AR can hover around or just below 1/2 MOA
But they require lots of work to be dependably accurate. As stated, most are loaded/chambered with mid powered cartridges and even though they will hit targets beyond some peoples ability, bullet performance and accuracy at impact, limits there use on game at distance.

As Mud said, don't ask any cartridge to perform beyond its design.

J E CUSTOM

You knowledge is spot on, the semi automatic is built sloppy in comparison to the bolt BUT the argument of the semi fans is that like my glock it misses to the same spot repeatedly therefore making it consistent....

Because lots of guys like semi-autos.
I dont agree with that statement. SKS or AKs are usually alot cheaper to buy if your just looking for a semi auto. The design of the AR makes it much more than just another semi auto. The rotating breech locks headspace in a similar fashion to a bolt action rifle allowing accuracy you just cant get from the average semi auto design. Some people even go so far as to set the AR up as a locked breech single shot, because eliminating the dynamic bolt movement make the design even more accurate.

Last edited:
So with all this on ARs, I'm building my first AR. I have a Aero Persian lower M4E with just a standard lower Aero Percussion parts kit in it. I wanted to spend a little more money on the barrel but not break the bank. I looking around at a lot of different barrels but I've been thinking more about the ones from RAINIER ARMS 5.56 NATO 4150 CHROME MOLY BARREL 1:7 TWIST RIFLE LENGTH- 18" SPR. It seems to be a basic design nothing special. I'm also looking at possibility of reloading for the gun or just sticking with bullets in the 65 to 80 grain range area. I think there is couple of loaded ammo that is in the 77gr weight. I would like to have the gun shoot below MOA at least something around .5 or .6 MOA would make me fell really good about the build but .75 is also ok.
Any suggestions about barrels and uppers. I was looking at getting the Aero Precision upper (possibly a better fit since I have the same brand lower) or one of the RAINIER ARMS FORGED MIL-SPEC UPPER RECEIVER. I can get the Aero Percision local at gun store I go to.
One other thing, intended use will be longer than 200 yards shooting, for as I can push the gun and my self, and varmint shooting as for as I can shoot it with reasonable energy to kill. Largest animal I would shoot is a coyote.

Rainier sells an accurate barrel, but I'm not sure about their basic barrels . I have one of their 16" match barrels on an upper and it shoots 77s really good, .6s with factory black hills stuff. Its 223 wylde chambered . Shoots 70 gr barnes factory ammo in the same little cluster as the 77 BHs at 100. I would do one of Rainiers MATCH barrels at a minimum. An Ultra Match would give you a little more accuracy according to them. They say regular barrels=quarter sized groups. Match barrels=nickel sized groups. Ultra Match=dime sized groups. My match unit shoots 5 shot groups you can cover with a nickel, so their claim rings true for my build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.