Who makes the best copper bullets for hunting hogs in your opinion

Barnes VorTX 168 TTSX from .308 last month, Monterey County. Neck spine shots immediately drop hogs. Good luck
384A9E32-8CA7-414D-8FB5-004C49572661.jpeg

In my M70 in .270 Win I use 140gr Barnes TSX. For my Rem 700 in .308 WinI use 168gr Barnes TSX. Recovered vullets have excellent clover leaf expansion...

My two cents worth, I learned the value of nosler partions over more conventional bullets back in the early 70's, then along came Randy and Connie brooks, back in the 90's i made the switch to barnes, the Barnes kills animal when others will fail, I have 14 different rifles in 7 calibers from 22 to 416, with the exception of the 22's the Barnes has been the most accurate in the other 12 rifles, I've harvested over 300 head of big game with perhaps half of those falling to the barnes, and and 66 of those being hogs, I spent a summers worth of my time in africa studying the ropes of a ph where one can observe more in one safari than one can in a decade of hunting here in the states, for me the Barnes X has given more one shot kills than any other, I've seen no reason to try any other,

Last edited:
I prefer the .308 when hog hunting over everything else, it kills every time I pull the trigger. I've been killing hogs as part of my job and the .308 is my gun of choice. I've shot hogs with the 130 Barnes TTSX BT and the 168 Barnes TSX BT with good results, all of the pigs shot are dead. These two bullets shoot a minute or better out to 500 yards, the range I use for work is only 500 yards. Shooting the 130 out of a 16" barrel and the 168 out of a 24" barrel. I run a suppressor on both.
Bullet placement is important, I aim between the ear and the shoulder (depends on the angle of the hog and the distance) and usually hit the brain or break the spine or the shoulder or both.
I don't believe that you would go wrong with any of the quality copper bullets as long as your gun likes them.

Best of luck with your decision.

Hey everyone I live in Ca. I know it sucks I should of left along time ago when I got out of the military!!!

Grizz, Being an Ex-Kalifornian myself, I can give you my deepest sympathies for still being in that state.
Now for your question about expanding copper slugs. Berger has a 30-30 slug that has some of the best expansion I have ever seen at 30-30/308 velocities. you might look into those. look into Cutting Edge bullets I have not shot them but no one I have ever talked to about them could say one word of criticism except for price. WoodLeigh might not be what you are looking for... ACP Australian/"Aussie" Copper Projectiles they are absolutely awesome slugs. I only used them once but performed stunningly on bear.
LeHigh Defense do not expand but they are deep penetrating and do massive amounts of damage. This comes directly from a rancher in Texas with hog problems. I can not put his statement down word for word because it has many words that are a violation of the 4th rule here. to sum it up. "Stellar performance, the hogs don't walk away"
Now Hammer are solid/monolithic. I am not familiar with them.
Look into G2 Tech. if they make the RIP in 0.308" you will be set. those are the most wicked handgun hunting slugs I have ever seen used. a 45 Colt Long hit a 800 pound hog about 50 yards out the hog did not laugh. the second shot put him down permanently. if you have a 444 Marlin or can get access to one, the RIP 44 caliber should make any hog dead where it stands. I own two 444 Marlins and have used Berger 44 cal handgun slugs in Cali. devastating combo.

Hey everyone I live in Ca. I know it sucks I should of left along time ago when I got out of the military!!! Anyways I can only hunt with copper bullets, for deer it's not too bad but for pig it dose not seem to expand that well, I have heard a lot of people are having to make a follow up shot. I'm gonna be taking a 308 out this weekend, I know it's not the best for hog hunting but I don't have my 6.5x284 set up for copper yet. I'm your experience what is the best expanding bullet that is copper and most accurate.
I have had the best luck with the hammer bullets and their customer service is the best I have ever seen . Give them a call and they will direct you to the proper bullet weight for the twist in your barrel

There is a lot of love for Hammer and Barnes, and it is justified. I'll throw Federal Premium Trophy Copper into the mix. I've had great success with these bullets in 165 gr (out of a .308) and 180 gr (out of both 30-06 and .300 Win Mag). I have used them on hogs, African plains game, and bison, and have never had an issue with shots out to 375 yards.

I've been shooting Barnes since the Barnes X bullets many, many years ago but have changed almost all over to Hammers beginning in 2018.....easier to develop an accurate load and more velocity in most cases. I like the concept of the petals shearing off and giving a shrapnel effect. That being said, hogs aren't that hard to kill....I kill more with my 222 Rem using 52 gr Bergers than anything else.....if this rifle with a 14 twist barrel would have stabilized the 44 gr Hammers, I'd be using them! Granted these aren't long shots with my 222 but as I said, they're not that hard to kill. Between me and my hunters we kill a huge number of them every season. As always, bullet placement is key!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.