Who makes the best copper bullets for hunting hogs in your opinion

Sgt. grizz

Hey everyone I live in Ca. I know it sucks I should of left along time ago when I got out of the military!!! Anyways I can only hunt with copper bullets, for deer it's not too bad but for pig it dose not seem to expand that well, I have heard a lot of people are having to make a follow up shot. I'm gonna be taking a 308 out this weekend, I know it's not the best for hog hunting but I don't have my 6.5x284 set up for copper yet. I'm your experience what is the best expanding bullet that is copper and most accurate.

I live in CA...
You have my deepest sympathies...

I'm a trucker. It's beyond my exponentially-limited intelligence as to why I become a better driver once I cross an imaginary line between Nevada and Kalifonia. I'm forced by the power of the brain-damaged elites in Sacramento to drive 55mph in the Granola State, yet I can accelerate to as fast as 80mph in Nevada once I get out past MM 60 or so. What caused me to become so much more skilled as a driver such that I can increase my speed by 45% once I have crossed the border? As pathetically stupid as I am, I'll need the help of the membership to answer that question...

I have shot copper bullets for many years and the Hammers seem to be the best IMO. They definitely expand as claimed and penetrate, they are not sensitive to seating depth, have less engraving pressure than Barnes which will generally give higher velocity. Cutting Edge has a higher BC but I quit using them after a couple pencil thru shots. Assuming you have a 10 twist barrel I would go with the 152 Hunter for a lighter faster approach but if you really want expansion go with the Sledge Hammer that has the bigger hollow point.
https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/308/

I have shot copper bullets for many years and the Hammers seem to be the best IMO. They definitely expand as claimed and penetrate, they are not sensitive to seating depth, have less engraving pressure than Barnes which will generally give higher velocity. Cutting Edge has a higher BC but I quit using them after a couple pencil thru shots. Assuming you have a 10 twist barrel I would go with the 152 Hunter for a lighter faster approach but if you really want expansion go with the Sledge Hammer that has the bigger hollow point.
https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/308/

I have not shot the Hammers. but Barnes work well for me.

I am not forced to use copper as I generally hunt Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Texas. Despite no legal requirements to shoot copper I choose to do so. I am running hammers. So far I've shot 4 critters with them. Two with the 181 hammer hunters and two with the 199 hammer hunters. Both out of a .300 win mag. Two antelope, an Aoudad, and a javalina have fallen. Every one except one antelope was bang flop. One antelope made it 20 yards. Even the Aoudad which are notorious for absorbing rounds hit the ground at the shot. Shortest shot was about 200 on the javalina and longest was 312 on a speed goat. Other speed goat was about 250 and the Aoudad was 225. Every hammer performed perfectly and they shoot sub half MOA out of my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.