Hog Hunting---Your doing that wrong

When I was a kid our neighbors dad got tore up by a domestic boar. It took over 100 stiches to close his wounds. When he went down on the ground the hog rolled him around and hogs Tushes,(Cutters} tore 3" gashes every time the hog rolled him. Like the woman being rolled in the video. A gun would have turned the problem (Hog) into pork chop, bacon and ribs and they could had a feast.

Killed 18 last weekend on a special ops wounded warrior hunt. All harvested with knives. No super big hogs. Biggest boar went around 250 lbs.
We participate in a show every year that is a benefit for the Special Ops Wounded Warrior organization. Great outfit.

Steve

Crazy video...gun free zone...don't they have kitchen knives? An axe? Wild

...apparently they didn't get the memo that we are the apex predators

morning, hogs wild or not will eat anything. YOU INCLUDED!!
I raised hogs on the farm in TX. super strong, do not feel
pain as humans do. DO WHAT THE HOGS WANT, EAT
WHAT HOGS WANT. VERY DANGEROUS. gbot tum

D3D74158-6A26-4A18-BB7D-D19A5A3615F5.png
My project for the weekend here in Georgia. Trail cam is loaded with pics this week should be great !!

morning, hogs wild or not will eat anything. YOU INCLUDED!!
I raised hogs on the farm in TX. super strong, do not feel
pain as humans do. DO WHAT THE HOGS WANT, EAT
WHAT HOGS WANT. VERY DANGEROUS. gbot tum
Except on their snout. Whack'm hard enough on the end of the nose and it sends them into sensory shock for at least a few seconds.

Other than the snout the only real effect pain seems to have on them is to make them insanely angry.

image.png
Winter in Florida. Three of us have taken 20. This is the biggest by a friend of mine that has a restaurant in NJ. It will be on the wall. Our scale only registers to 300.

guess the hog did not stop and read that he was located in communist china where the state has made it very clear this is not allowed. Even has many laws to that effect.

Honestly though even a knife would not have done any good for those people other than to further enrage the animal. They would have done much better to have lit some cloth on fire and on the end of that broom and chased it. That would have likely ended it but people do not think that way when adrenaline hits unless they have been trained/taught to.

The issue being it does not look like any of them had the attitude/determination or knew anything about how to kill a hog with a knife or really what to do. Looked about the same as it would have played out in any big city here in the US were guns are severely restricted and they usually would not have allowed any good sized knife either. Not to mention most mid to well off city folk these days are passive weenies.

If they would use dogs for guard animals instead of eating them they also might have done ok.

You really do have to have experience killing hogs with a knife to be able to do it effectively in a stress situation like that. Got to know to grab the rear leg with a death grip and knee behind the shoulder to flip it down. Bury the blade behind the forerib section about a hand behind the shoulder and pull/slice down hard will usually split the heart and fillet a good amount of lung as well. Its over in a few seconds after that.

guess the hog did not stop and read that he was located in communist china where the state has made it very clear this is not allowed. Even has many laws to that effect.

Honestly though even a knife would not have done any good for those people other than to further enrage the animal. They would have done much better to have lit some cloth on fire and on the end of that broom and chased it. That would have likely ended it but people do not think that way when adrenaline hits unless they have been trained/taught to.

The issue being it does not look like any of them had the attitude/determination or knew anything about how to kill a hog with a knife or really what to do. Looked about the same as it would have played out in any big city here in the US were guns are severely restricted and they usually would not have allowed any good sized knife either. Not to mention most mid to well off city folk these days are passive weenies.

If they would use dogs for guard animals instead of eating them they also might have done ok.

You really do have to have experience killing hogs with a knife to be able to do it effectively in a stress situation like that. Got to know to grab the rear leg with a death grip and knee behind the shoulder to flip it down. Bury the blade behind the forerib section about a hand behind the shoulder and pull/slice down hard will usually split the heart and fillet a good amount of lung as well. Its over in a few seconds after that.
On that note... .

I've killed a few with a knife over the years but not by choice, blood sport such as that is not something I approve of or participate in.

All it takes to stab the average human in the heart fatally is a 3" penetration. On a big hog you need 6-8".

I learned the hard way last winter not to try and kill one with a three inch blade. Before it was over I'd cut his throat ear to ear and stabbed/ripped him in the heart/lung area twice.

I ended up having to walk back to the truck and get some more ammo.

This was just a medium sized boar around 350lbs that already had 9 180gr JHP's in his chest and a high neck shot from a 260 Rem that missed the spine.

If you're going to try to kill a hog, bring enough gun, bring enough knife and if they are very big, don't go after the wounded hogs alone. Doing so can end pretty badly for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.