Who likes their rifles to stand out? Pic time

BallisticsGuy

Basically, show 'em off. Your rifles (pistols, shotguns, cannon) that really stand out in the crowd. The garish. The deliberately fugly. Whatever. Have fun with it.

I don't mind standing out in a crowd but I wondered for a second when I first attended one why, at a rimfire metallic silhouette match, there's all these garish rifles that had to have cost thousands and they're just .22's and they're just being shot offhand. I mean some done up to death, completely ugly rifles in neon stocks with stainless barrels and blued actions and giant aluminum trigger guards. Took about 5 seconds to figure it out but I saw it again a few years back while attending the first prone type match I'd done since I was a teenager. At any long range matches I go to lately it's plum hard pretty often telling all the masterpiece chassis'd, vortex scoped, atlas bipod wearing, Defiance actions and fat bastard brakes apart. I don't like standing out by fitting in and I did notice that at least some of the reason at silhouette for rifles being garish was to get into the other competitors heads (hard to think that the effectiveness persists once the behavior was more or less SOP). So why not play that game too at long range prone & PRS. I started with the whole FDE or black everything, then said the heck with it and did whatever came into my head. Some pretty odd things come into my head as you'll see.

So I present to you for your kind/unthinking compliments/abuse (put those together however works best), the Snake Gun and the Dodger Dog in their current full trim.
img_2558-e1526186128596.jpg

Snake Gun is a Mossberg MVP Varmint in .223Rem moved into an LSS chassis, XLR butt, DPMS PSG-1 grip, Timney trigger, US Optics B-17 and Columbia River Arms (aka Black Hole Weapons) 7 twist with an A2 birdcage, early BipodeXt with Harris smooth leg 6-9" swivel type bipod. Barrel paint is meant to resemble a Sonoran coral snake. World's worst cerakote guy made the scales backward and didn't finish the last 5" of the barrel for some reason.

Dodger Dog is a Savage 10FPSR .243AI in an LSS with XLR butt, MOE grip, US Optics SN3 3.8-22x58, Columbia River arms 8 twist, JP brake, new BipodeXt TacIII with Accu-Tac SR5 bipod. Rustoleum'd to look like a hot dog. A Dodger Dog specificially, with mustard, onions and relish on a pretzel bun.

Individual Pics
img_2552-e1526186488701.jpg

img_2548-e1526186960168.jpg

So grab those Krylon abortions, bring out your 'did it while a little drunk' projects, send forth that which perhaps you might have thought twice but didn't. Bring them and allow all to jab at thee as they surely will me.

All in fun of course.

How's this? 6.5 X 284 built by Alamo...
Lone Peak..Bix n Andy ..419 muzzle break..Masterpiece Arms..Seekins..Vortex...I picked everything
including the Highlander dip..

Attachments

• IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 259
Not overly flashy. Finished in February it is my first custom. I only have one so I will shoot anything from prs style to f-class. Hopefully deer and antelope in its future but I have to draw a tag before I make that happen.

Curtis axion
6.5 cm
22 3/4" hawk hill marksman
Lil beast brake
Manners prs-1
M-5 dbm
Jewel trigger

Took some time to get used to shooting a braked rifle. I think the reduced recoil was lulling me into not mounting the gun properly. I am shooting it pretty well now.

Attachments

• 1F4DC556-B706-41E2-91B9-151176F4D060.jpeg
    1F4DC556-B706-41E2-91B9-151176F4D060.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 303
How was your richards mocrofit to finish? I got one that came as essentially a block of half inletted wood, but they were for not so common actions.

It was a fair amount of work. I trimmed the fore end down considerably as well as the wrist and grip. The picture doesn't really do justice to the work done. Oh and it came with a 1/2" barrel channel.

I like this post and 100% agree that most of us want something different or we would not build custom rifles. Most of us also like showing them off.

How creative a person gets is up to him and his taste. I like to see creativity at work and even though I may want to rush out an do something like it, I still like seeing what people can come up with.

I to would like to see more rifle pictures. And I will start posting some of my rifles, Who knows, someone may like them besides me.:cool:

J E CUSTOM

It was a fair amount of work. I trimmed the fore end down considerably as well as the wrist and grip. The picture doesn't really do justice to the work done. Oh and it came with a 1/2" barrel channel.
Ssounds about right ha ha. I have actually got two, one was a block while the other wasnt bad, but the inletting was terrible and I actually had to do some mending and filling for it to be functional

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.