Which would you pick.. 7mm08 - 270

One other consideration since recoil is of high importance to you for this build is to choose a stock and stock design that is best suited to the type of shooting that you, or whomever this is for, is doing. A parallel comb or negative comb provide the least felt recoil. Lots of considerations with a stock and it's dimensions.

Can you let us know the size, age, and gender of this shooter?

While very true, these chambers like 7mm mag result in much more recoil and are more expensive to shoot vs a 7mm08
Yessir, that's always the tradeoff.

After shooting the .260 so much the last few years I'm realizing that even though I'm never going to give up my big magnums it's extremely rare to need a cannon just to kill a critter cleanly and humanely.

IMO, 7mm bullets are meant to go fast! 7mm Rem Mag, 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, etc. are where it's at for the 7mm bullets. 7mm-08 just doesn't do anything for me because it's going so slow. If you're shooting the 7mm-08, you might as well just get a 308: cheaper ammo, more ammo available, and you end up putting a bigger hole into whatever you're shooting. Of the two rounds being discussed here, I'd opt for the 270.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.