Which scope?

PaLuke

This is my first post and I just want to say hello to everyone. I'm getting a Savage 12 VLP in .204 Ruger. My question is which scope should I get for it. I'm looking at the Leupold VariX II 6-18 with target knobs or the Burris Signature Select in 6-24. I have a couple of low powered Leupold variables which I like very much but the Burris looks pretty good in some of the reviews. Which do you think is better or is there something else out there? My max for price will be around $500. Thank you very much for the replies. Tony

What ya gona use it fer?
6x might be a little too much for a close fast movin coyotes.If prairie dogs or ground squirrels are the target a 12x with fine duplex might just be the perfect match.
A Burris will probibly have better glass than a VXII and thier bullistic plex might come in handy?

Mostly grounghogs and a occasional crow. Do you have any experience with the ballistic plex? I see they also have a 4-16 with the ballistic plex. I wonder why they, (Burris) don't have the ballistic plex in their 6-24 scopes?

Have never used the bullistic plex as such but have hillbillied the regular duplexes for years.
For example the 12x Leupold(the Nikon Monarch is set up the same way @ 16.5x) with fine duplex is my favorite prairie dog scope for the 223.The fine x is 2MOA up and down to the thick post so all you have to do is site the gun in useing the top thick post as your 100 yard zero.The x hairs will be aproximently 200 yards and the bottom thick post will get you past 300(the 204 will shoot flatter)
The bullistic plex is set up to do about the thing as each hash will represent 200-300-400-500-600-700,useing a flat shooting 22-250 or 7mag.The 204 will not have the exact same trajectory so you will have to fire it at those ranges and dial acordingly.Leupold has kind of the same setup out these days http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...p;cmCat=catfeat

Thanks for the reply. My son has a Savage 12BVSS in 22-250 with a Leupold 12X on it and he uses it like you do. Do you think it will be better with the ballistic plex or click up with the adjustable knobs like some do. Thanks again...Tony

Have any of you used the Leupold Varmint or Boone & Crockett reticle yet? It looks pretty cool. I'm trying to choose a scope for my 7mm RUM.

<font color="red">Keeter </font>
I shot Prairie dogs with a guy last summer that had the Leupold varmint reticle.He dosent have much time for the MP-8 reticle in my IORs (too busy)but I'll have to agree with him that the varmint reticle in the Leupold is a sweete setup for doggin.Trying to talk Leupold into changeing out a VXIII with fine dot to the new Varmint reticle when they fix the elivation turrent.
Dialing works at lot better for some than it does me,seams I alway get lost when I try dialing the knobs so I prefer to use a reticle.Thats why I have ben switching over to the IORs with the MP-8 reticle but have considered giveing the bullistic plexes a try.The thing with them is you have to use them at a specific power.Change the power and the reticle changes.This can be good and bad,good in that you can adjust it to fit your specific load better.Bad in that if you change the power so does your point of impact.A fixed power for me is a lot less hasle.Found this link on the Cabelas site,if you click on the more product links it explains it better than I can.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&amp;hasJS=true

Mach V, I don't understand what you mean in your reply. If the rifle is sighted in on 8X and you go to 12X does the point of impact change for the main crosshairs or the ballistic lines? I believe what you say I just don't understand the concept. Thank you for your reply.......Tony

Its not you!After I reread it I didnt understand it either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
It can be both depending on the scope.
Shoot a group at full power some time and then turn the power down to 1/2 of its value and shoot another group.The point of impact changes in some scopes and it dont take much of a change in power to change point of impact sometimes.
What I realy ment by it is this.Most of the scopes set thier rangeing reticles at full power but lets say you find out the reticle matches you load better turned down a couple of xs.All is good and fine till you turn the scope up to view something or down to cut the mirage a little better and forget to turn it back to its calibrated setting.Not a problem if your shooting a town full of prairie dogs but if you miss the only groundhog you've sean all day it becomes a problem.
Give me too many choices,buttons or setting and I'll screw it up as often as it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mach V
Why not give premeir reticles a shot and see what they can do for you on your scope?

I understand what you mean. I think I'll stick with a fine plex and go from there. I'll try the target knobs. I might have a place to shoot out to 350 yards and I can try to figure the number of clicks to each yardage at the range. Thank you again for the reply. Tony

[ QUOTE ]
Mach V
Why not give premeir reticles a shot and see what they can do for you on your scope?

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly are you refering to "premeir reticles"?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.