Which scope: 4-16x50 atacr or 3.6-18x44 mark5

Mark 5 or ATACR

• 3.6-18x44 Mark 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

curtiscd

As the title states, which scope would you guys recommend on a 7 RM? Weight doesn't really bother me. I have 2 5-25 ATACRs on a 7 STW and 338 Edge. This is more of a range gun nowadays since I have the bigger calibers. Once I shoot out the barrel it will become a 30 cal. Please feel free to throw out any additional options you guys would recommend in the $2000-2500ish price range.

From familiarity standpoint might make sense to stick with Nightforce....since thats what you run now.

but I do hear good things about the Mark 5...

Do you have to have the Front Focal?

I'd want to try the Vortex Razor HD AMG if they made a 3-18 option at 18oz

As far as the glass the leupold is just as good as my ATACR's but I run the lighter Leupolds on my hunting rifles to save weight. If your not worried about weight then the Nightforce will be a lot tougher and take more abuse. Leupold has also been known to have tracking issues if you plan to dial turrets a lot but I personally have never had an issue with mine. I have been seeing the Swarovski X5 5-25 on sale a few places for $1999 lately too.

I've never used the Nightforce but I'm very impressed with my Mk5.
I have the moa model with pr-1 reticle and it's fantastic.
I did a tracking test and it's spot on up to 50 moa.
Glass is the best I've used, and the eye box is very forgiving, I really like the compactness as well.

As far as the glass the leupold is just as good as my ATACR's but I run the lighter Leupolds on my hunting rifles to save weight. If your not worried about weight then the Nightforce will be a lot tougher and take more abuse. Leupold has also been known to have tracking issues if you plan to dial turrets a lot but I personally have never had an issue with mine. I have been seeing the Swarovski X5 5-25 on sale a few places for $1999 lately too.

Deviant - what leupold scopes do you run on your hunting rigs to save weight?

Right on! i'm thinking about the VX6 3-18. But not sure about 2nd focal plane, but for hunting i'm probably overthinking things.

I like the Mark 5 and was actually going to put one a new build im working on but decided to try out a March High Master 10-60x56 as a load development scope first and see if I like them as well. Im not sure if I want FFP or 2nd on this rifle when its finished but I know I want a lot of magnification. It will probably be a March 5-50 if I go 2nd FP or a 5-40 if I go FFP. Otherwise I will revert back to the new Mark 5 7-35 when they come out if I dont like this March that I just got.

The ability to absorb abuse is what has kept me running Nightforce on all of my rigs. 90% of my hunting is on horseback in the high country and abuse is something ponies distribute very well.

Right on! i'm thinking about the VX6 3-18. But not sure about 2nd focal plane, but for hunting i'm probably overthinking things.
I have always liked 2nd focal plane best so they don't cover a small target when zoomed in but I am getting used to using my ATACR's with the FFP. Its nice to not have to worry about what power you are on to use the reticle.

From familiarity standpoint might make sense to stick with Nightforce....since thats what you run now.

but I do hear good things about the Mark 5...

Do you have to have the Front Focal?

I'd want to try the Vortex Razor HD AMG if they made a 3-18 option at 18oz

FFP is not necessarily a priority for me.

The ability to absorb abuse is what has kept me running Nightforce on all of my rigs. 90% of my hunting is on horseback in the high country and abuse is something ponies distribute very well.
Leupold has a great warranty but that doesnt help you kill a critter if you drop your rifle of a horse and damage the scope first. I think I would stick with the ATACR if it were me. I know they are making some of those in second FP now too.

Weight and price go to Leupold, the rest is Nightforce. That's not to say the Leupold isn't usable, or a legitimate choice. Depends a bit how you see the rifle being used. I've got both.

Weight and price go to Leupold, the rest is Nightforce. That's not to say the Leupold isn't usable, or a legitimate choice. Depends a bit how you see the rifle being used. I've got both.

This is exactly what brought me here looking for more opinions. Truth be told I had a 5.5-22 NXS on this rifle and I just couldn't ever get used to the glass. I have an SHV on my wife's 6.5-284 and was more fond of that scope than I was the NXS. I would go with another 5-25 ATACR but I'd like to keep my objective @ 50mm or less on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.