Which rings.??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Holmes,
I haven't used or even seen the Smith Ent. rings but would warn you that sometimes a person can get so low with low rings and big objectives that you can't use any lens covers like Butler Creek or Scopecoats. Pain in the butt when you can't get anything between the barrel and the bottom of the scope, can't even get an oily cloth under some setups.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point taken, Ian. I don't need much height in the rings as the Farrell base provides enough for my 40mm scope. I'm currently using Burris low Zee rings and they allow just enough room for the Butler Creek cap and a silicone wipe.

I have been looking at the Leupold PRW rings. They may be a nice inexpensive set for those wanting a four screw cap without going to a full blown tactical type of ring.

I was talking with the folks at Volquartsen today about some parts for my 10/22 and they mentioned their tactical rings. Didn't even know they made them. Look very nice with a deep channel and heavy cross pins.

Here's a link to that page:

www.volquartsen.com/product.asp?pid=122

I have a lot of Volquartsen products and have never been disappointed in the quality.

I may try a set of these just to be different!

Jake,

IMHO,

#1: Badger
#2: Leupold Mk4

FWIW, I have a Nightforce 12-42x56mm mounted on a 20MOA base over a 30" Krieger Heavy Palma taper barrel. The Badger 'medium high' rings give @ 3/16" clearance. With an untapered barrel, it'd be close....

Badgers are better machined & usually require less need for or extensive lapping, but I agree with the folks above - buy either in that order & you WON'T need another pair.

I have a set of the Smith Enterprises rings. I have been fairly impressed with them. They are very low. I had them on a Leupold 3.5-10 LR with 40mm objective and clearance was close on the barrel of a sendero. They do come with 1" inserts but I have never used them. Also if anyone is looking for a real high quality weaver base on an M-14, smith makes a one piece set up that is very nice.

Holmes,
Those Volquartson rings look nice, if you get some please let us know what you think. The big six screw tactical looks like a beast, right up there with Badger Max-50's.
There are so many interesting toys...

I have the nightforce rings between a NXS and 30MOA base. the scope is very close to the barrel. To close for covers! Is there only one height nightforce ring?

Anyone use barrett adjustable rings? http://www.barrettrifles.com/accessories.html

Looks like these would solve lots of different problems if they are dependable.

SCO
Did you get yours? Who is your dealer? How do they look?

Any comments anybody?

Thanks CAM

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited by: Cam ]

Agreed, Ian. I have set of the Volquartsen Nova rings ordered. Should see them in the next few days and I'll report in.

I had the opportunity to examine the Leupold PRW rings in person and they are much lighter duty than they appeared in the catalogue. Probably an excellent ring, but not a true tactical contender.

I'd have to say the best buy out there in a tactical ring is probably still the Mark IVs. If one shops carefully, they can be had for a spot over $100.

So many toys available and.... so little money
grin.gif

..'Last I saw they were $125 over at Sinclair's.. Prices vary a good bit from place to place.. JiNC

Hello Jake

Haven't talk to you on the phone for a while. hope all is well down south and that the bigeyes are doing a good job for you.

The KDF on that 300 Tomahawk (if that's what your putting the NF on) will ****** most of the heavy recoil however, if you go with a Nightforce scope, the Ferrel base and Badger rings are extremely heavy duty and will work well for you. Check out the stronger screws as WYO mentioned.
The Badgers are, as you say, "butt ugly" too but, do the job well. I have 2 or 3 sets of them.

The Ken Ferrel rings look good but, I don't own any and can't give advice concerning them.

Take care and good luck to you.

Another thought.
The "dirt on Buddies" as you mentioned, should be saved for rainey days, "if needed."
grin.gif
--- Not needed now, the weather is fine.
smile.gif

To bad your not here. Having Pennsylvania wild turkey for supper tonight you old "Rebel."

Later
DC
wink.gif
(Old Yankee)

Hey DC.. All will be much better if it'll quit raining every weekend..!!
.. The big-eyes are doing fine but I think the 30's are still history.. The only thing I've seen that they helped on was the moon. And I don't think even the Tommy is gonna threaten that much.!! (Inject your fav "shooting the moon" joke here..)
..Yessir, the rings are for the NF going on CJ's ex-Tommy with the Ferrel and the KDF.. I just wanted to try best I could to get the correct rings from the git-go.. I really like the Burris Zee's I have on another rifle.. Are they completely out of the question.? If so I may just gofer the NF's at Sinclair's or a set of Ken's.. The Badger's seem extra sweet but I think they have a slight case of Harley Davidsonitis..(An unresistable urge to squeeze every last penny from a piece of metal..)
grin.gif

.. Pennsylvania Wild Turkey,huh.? I'm sure the ever-so-slight taint of a blue-belly bird could be over-looked easily if I were dining at that same table..
wink.gif
grin.gif
JiNC

Jake

You missed one of the "BEST" wild turkeys I have ever tasted and I have eaten a bunch of them. The wife did an outstanding job on this bird.

To bad you missed it even though it was a suculent "blue belly" to start with.
I was going to tell you, if you come up for dinner, "DON'T" go through Gettysburg. I hate to see a grown southern Rebel cry.
grin.gif

Anyway, sorry the 30X are not to your liking. You do have another power that will be real good for those glasses.

As for Burris Zee rings, I have used them with Nightforce scopes without any problems.
I did have a set of the 30MM Burris rings that didn't have the inserts in them. They were all metal and worked real good with a Weaver style base.

You will be surprised at the low felt recoil of that Tommy with the KDF muzzle brake.

Well I better get off here and let my stomach relax after all that fresh wild turkey I had tonight.

Take care and I'll look around here for another set of those 30MM Burris rings if you like them. I'm not sure I have them any longer though because I got rid of the Nightforce scope and let them go with it.

Later
DC

Jake I think I have a set of the Burris 30 MM high rings.. all metal....

e-mail me...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.