Which rifle, to get. Christensen, kimber Montana, bergara premier highlander

Everyone one is a factory built rifle, you have a chance of getting a turd with any one of them.

I am reaching the point if I am going to spend more than the price of a tikka t3 then I may as well save up a bit and have one built to exactly what I want.

You can spend 3k$ more than a tikka and get a less accurate heavier rifle...
Bill

For the life of me I don't see the mystique of the carbon wrapped barrel except weight reduction, possibly stiffness. People tell me they shoot cooler, but the internal temps of the barrel are actually higher because the "plastic" is an insulator and slows the heat from migrating to the outside surface where it is dissipated (the barrel feels hot). Don't tell me I'm all wet because I worked in an industry that dealt with heat dissipation of electrical components. The way you get rid of heat is get it to the outside surface not hold it in. Want to cool your barrel down faster, do what the F-class and benchrest shooters do, pump air down the inside of the barrel with a battery powered camp mattress inflator. I understand in hunting, heat would not be a problem, because few shots are fired but I don't know of a long range marksman who doesn't practice a lot. I have replaced more burned out barrels on 30 WM that any other caliber.

I purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC last year and it shoots 3/4 MOA or better with Hornady ammo. I did replace the stock with a McMillan just because I like it better but it wasn't necessary. I picked it up on Sale for $1600.
With all of that said, you could probably get a nice custom for $3000 if you don't go nuts on options.

Personally for that kind of money, I would have a semi-custom built with a match grade barrel. If you're set on factory, I'd lean towards the Kimber or Bergara. I've seen too many issues from Christensen Arms rifles to pay that much for one.
Disagree with this to a point. Christensen arms have served me well. I have a 6.5prc Mesa shooting amazing and so do many others on here. I believe most of Christensen arms bad press came 2 years ago but they have good customer service and have righted those wrongs. That being said if the OP has the cash, the Premier Highlander is an amazing rifle and so are the Kimbers. For 1200$ though you cannot beat out the Mesa for what you get. Just my two cents.

From my experience Kimbers are hit and miss as well.
I've been seeing enough used newer Kimbers for sale in shops that it is suggesting to me that they are somehow disappointing the folks that bought them. I've picked them up, fit and finish are fine, action and trigger smooth and crisp. But there is something wrong in there. I put one back that I really liked and bought a used SIG 970SHR setting next to it. Now that was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Hello, all been following the site for sometime finally made the jump to be a member. I'm in need of some advice I'm to get a good factory rifle chambered in 280 Ackley. I've knocked off the savage ultralight since it had a 22 inch I want full potential of the caliber. Thanks all!
I'd take a look at Fierce Firearms instead of Christensen or Montana

I agonized over this very subject, best for the money, what is the level of pain($) and still have performance and money for a worth while scope, mounts, etc. Long story short, I couldn't see where Cooper was worth a $1,000 more than the Christiansen Arms Ridgeline that I just got in 6.5PRC. I know, I know 1/2 moa but if you don't already know- the Cooper centerfire test targets are shot at 50 yards, and I got that verbally from them on a call. Bottom line, I just got a one year old Leupold VX6HD, Talley ring/mounts, brass, Match Grade dies, a box of Factory ammo, and a muzzle brake (I have a suppresser) for less than the price of the Cooper. Now, it's 9 degrees outside, so I haven't shot the CA yet either... my intended use is long range hunting. Total weight is 8 lbs. Something I also considered over everything.

That savage 110 ultralight in wsm has me rethinking my next build. I was going to treat myself and basically build that gun in 300 wm. I can live with 2 inches off the barrel. For the price of a nice action you can have a rifle.

CA and Seekins can't be happy about this entering their market at probably $400 less. Alot of tthese new factory offerings the last few years are detering me from builds. A 110 ultralight will probably end up in the safe at that price point. I own a model 10 that shoots lights out. The old lemon argument... It can happen. Just like you can get a lemon Ferrari. Guys beat this drum to justify why they spent 8k on a gunwerks rifle when Billy Bob down the street has a stock savage that shoots .3 with hand loads he spent $800 on.

I own $5000 rifles and $800 rifles. Looks, feel, and flash aside, accuracy is what they are judged by in the end. Factory to custom, all my rifles are within .1/.2 of each other with handloads. If you can justify another $2k for guaranteed .1/.2 better, have at it. I love nice things too. For a HUNTING rifle no one cares. 99% of hunters will never miss an animal and blame the gun because it only shoots .7 instead of .5 with factory ammo. I understand there are guys on this forum who push the limits, but they don't start threads with "which factory rifle should I buy".

My luck with kimbers being gems is 3 for 3. 260, 270wsm, 308. I also love teekas. Every one i have is a shooter, and i own 4. Have seen and handled bergara's and christensen's but havent owned or shot. They look gr8.

Recon, I can't agree with you more. I was all set to buy an upper grade Tikka for a light recoil hunting rifle (6.5 CM) for the grandkids. The Christensen Arms Mesa was on sale for roughly the same price as a upper level Tikka, so I went that way. I'm sure I would have been very happy with the Tikka also.

I've learned by listening to some really smart folks, many on this sight, the principle of diminishing returns. I'm a hunter, not a benchrest competitor. I have three centerfire hunting rifles that shoot .406, .467, and developing the third. It will probably be .4-.5 or so. I won't shoot at an animal over 500 yards, so I'm happy.

I could spend thousands of dollars to chase thousands of inches, but I'd rather take kids hunting. Not critical of those who do chase perfection, but my hunting rifles are good enough.

Hello, all been following the site for sometime finally made the jump to be a member. I'm in need of some advice I'm to get a good factory rifle chambered in 280 Ackley. I've knocked off the savage ultralight since it had a 22 inch I want full potential of the caliber. Thanks all!
Another 2 cents from me, i want a kimber montana in 280 ai also! If u decide to go custom buile call benchmark barrels. They dont advertize as they have alk they can handle. Their barrels are amazing, see how many shooters at nationals in tbe top ten are shooting benchmark. They can save you a bunch on a custom. Just my thoughts.

I'd take a look at Fierce Firearms instead of Christensen or Montana

Another vote for Fierce. I have both Fierce and Christensen and prefer the fierce. I feel the fit and finish is better and the rifle is a bit lighter. I also like the stock much better on the Fierce. They are spendy. If you're looking for the most cost effective option, you'll probably find better. But if you're looking for something you love and are going to spend a lot of time with, its worth looking at all the options.
I also have a Cooper Backcountry in 280 AI that has had the barrel broken in and that's it. I prefer the Fierce and might be willing to let this one go if you're interested. Like others said above- the Cooper doesn't have magazine space for longer heavier bullets so if you're gonna stay with 140-150 grain pills, this is a great options. Weighs 5 1/2 lbs without a scope.

Kimber's quality control is lacking IMO. I've meet 3-5 people who bought NIB Kimbers, and they had to send them back or take them to a gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.