Which rifle & Calibur??

Redmuzzie

I am a new hunter to coyote & have special needs for the proper unit. I have had 8 shoulder surgeries so weight AND recoil are involved in this decision. What do you seasoned hunters recommend? I was wondering if a 6.5-.284 was available in a lighter weight rifle and if the recoil would be too harsh for poor shoulders. Please respond if you have any ideas. Thank you in advance, Jim.

Hi my advice is get a Remington and have it rebarreled to 243 or 243AI and use a 1 in 8.5 twist it will get you well past 1000yards with a 105gr A Max also have a muzzle break fitted. you could also use a factory rem 243 have a muzzle break fitted and shoot 87-90gr plastic tipped projectiles.

Cheers Bill
Australia

dont know how far you plan on shooting but if ur worried about recoil, id go with an AR. for one, you can get a # of calibers to suit ur need's, and two, you dont have to worry about chambering another round for a folow up shot if needed. try looking at the 6.5 creedmoor. check the DPMS web site

Hi my advice is get a Remington and have it rebarreled to 243 or 243AI and use a 1 in 8.5 twist it will get you well past 1000yards with a 105gr A Max also have a muzzle break fitted. you could also use a factory rem 243 have a muzzle break fitted and shoot 87-90gr plastic tipped projectiles.

Good advice.

BTDT
The AR workt great before the shoulder problems but after I find it way too uncomfortable to use unless its on a bench. For me anything bigger than 243 is limited to heavy guns and low round counts. I used a 6.5-284 for antelope and deer this year with good results but the gun weighs 13# or a little more and I USED the bipods!
Last year I used a lite little 6.5x55 Sweede off the bipods with a good recoil pad with ease but I sure wouldnt want more than that!
My favorite critter-getters are my little Stevens in 204 and the CZ American in 223. The recoil and lite weight make them an easy choice for carreing around and shooting offhand. With a good rest both are coyote units to 400 yards or more if the wind aint blowing too hard.
Glensdogs%20040.jpg

Glensdogs%20099.jpg

I just bought a Rem 700 SPS Stainless in 243, and it came with a Remington R3 recoil pad (Made by Simms). Hardly any noticeable recoil, and the rifle is very accurate. Mine shot a .35" three shot group with Winchester 100 gr factory ammo. With my 70gr Bal. Tips and 46.0 gr of IMR 4350, all threes shots are in a slightly oblong hole. Figure I am good on Yotes to 400+ yards with VariX 3.5x10 scope.
Hope this helps.
Duane

I use a 204 and love it. It hits plenty hard to down a coyote, and has minimal recoil. There are many options for a good coyote gun. I use anywhere from a 17hmr, 22mag, 204, 243. All of these calibers have killed yotes and none are hard on the shoulder. I've downed yotes at 100 yards with a tricked out ruger 10/22. Very limited on distance but it is also fun to see how close you can bring one in. 10/22 has virtually no recoil.

You might think about Remington M700 in .17 Rem; to duplicate Remington's very fine factory load, you'll need Remington 25gr HP, if you can't find those anymore, Hornady's works pretty good. The powder'.., VV N135 {22.8grs}… using a Remington 7 1/2 BR primer and Rem case. Use factory OAL and your in business, it should run spot on 4040 fps out of a 24' barrel. Accuracy can be off the chart, I mean superb! Recoil is all but zero, I've used this on yote's out to 400 plus yards, but it best in the 300 yards range, and it's deadly.
.224 Wby

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.