Which PRC for my lightweight mountain rifle

I live and hunt in Idaho and have made a one shot kill on an elk at very long distance under perfect conditions with my 6.5 Creedmoor. While I would never attempt to shoot another animal at this yardage, shot placement made the kill. So, I now have a 6.5x.284, which is close in ballistics to the 6.5 PRC. After shooting a deer at 751yds. with it last fall I would not hesitate to shoot an elk at up to 800 yards maximum range. Although the YouTube gel tests on the new 156gr Berger showed terrible performance, I think that better performing higher BC bullets are forthcoming. The performance of the Accubond LR bullets I have been using have been excellent so far. I would not hesitate to go with the 6.5 PRC over the 300!

I'd start with with 6.5 PRC. Shoot it and hunt with it. When you are ready to plan an elk hunt, weigh your experience with the PRC against the paper ballistics of something bigger. Then decide if you need a thumper.

That's the kind of feedback I am looking for, When I look at the ballistic tables the 6.5 PRC has plenty of energy.

You choose a caliber to cover things when they go right, and also for when they go wrong. What happens when the elk moves, turns, steps at the moment that the trigger breaks?

Definitely 300PRC, if not a 338 PRC.

Learn to shoot the rifle and don't worry about recoil. Recoil is mostly noise that totally overamps the nervous system. The shove feels good when you're hunting.

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.
If i was you you i would go with the 30 Nosler you get a lot more bang for the money and i have talk to some people about there PRC and they said they have had to replace the barrel after 80 or 90 rounds thru them and if you plan on the CA i would go with the Virsa i have 6 CA Rifles and one 30 Nosler and have had good luck with both of them good luck in your choice

Recoil is tamed in many ways. Weight, brake, recoil pads, and other gadgets, but nothing tames recoil like practice. Shoot it a lot and you will acclimate. Therefore get the 300. Elk and 300 or 338 just seems to fit. I know lots of folks killed many with 6.5 and even lesser. If you already shoot a 45-70 you will be fine.

Just stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor! You can thank me later!
Great deer round. Sorry, but it is not adequate for elk and I think newbies shouldn't be encouraged to think it is. A 30-30 is fine for elk by an experienced elk hunter that understands the effective range is under 100 yards for that round. I've lived in Montana and hunted elk for over 50 years, and counting elk taken among my hunting parties, have harvested dozens of that noble species. I've seen too many wounded animals lost with inexperienced hunters shooting sub-standard rounds. Elk are magnificent creatures and deserve better. Over 40 years ago one of our hunting party had 2 rifles, a 6.5 Gibbs and an 8mm Gibbs. He took dozens of elk over the years. By his own admission, the only wounded animals lost were with the 6.5. The 6.5 Gibbs was a more formidable round than the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have 2 6.5 Creedmoors. Great choice for deer, antelope for women & kids and pleasure shooting. Maybe elk for an experienced marksman with proper shot placement. Buck fever is common for new hunters, especially with the first few elk kills. Please don't risk ruining your first elk hunt by coming here with a sub-standard cartridge and risk wounding & losing the animal.

The Ridgeline long action is "barrel heavy" when carrying in hand by the action. I believe the short action with the shorter barrel will balance at the natural hand carry spot.

I have the long action and carry the rifle in my hand a good percentage of the time. It's not a dealbreaker, but just something to think about with a "mountain rifle".

another thing I will add, a rail will make the rifle difficult to wrap your hand around. With Hawkins Hybrid rings or Tally's, you can get you thumb between the action and scope during hand carry. The VX5HD in 3-15x42 barely fits between the rings with Hawkins Hybrids. Check your preferred scope mount that it will work with your action length.

with a brake, the recoil on the 300 PRC will be completely mellow imo. I have Christensen's side baffle brake on my 30 Nosler, both the radial and side baffle brakes work well.

I just finished my first truly custom .300PRC rifle build. It shoots like a dream. The only reason I chose the .300 over the 6.5 is because I live and hunt in Alaska and I just never know when I might run into a big ole brown bear while out hunting. Plus moose are a larger game animal than elk and therefore I did not want to be under powered for moose and bears. Everything else, I think the 6.5PRC would do the trick. Shooting the .300PRC with a muzzle break is not bad at all and I will have an Omega suppressor very soon once I get out of Tack Stamp jail:)

Attachments

• 32CBB75D-9838-4A0A-A9A3-DD4CCAE1CA0E.jpeg
    32CBB75D-9838-4A0A-A9A3-DD4CCAE1CA0E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • 34EACF0A-F79F-457F-A26F-10D367EC216B.jpeg
    34EACF0A-F79F-457F-A26F-10D367EC216B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.
You definitely have 2 chouces that will do the jib at 500. The 300 will be better if your shot presentation isnt ideal. But on elk i definely recommend heavy and or monometal, aka barnes or similiar. Someone else mentioned 6.5 creed. Will do the job but remember the creed us not quite the balistic twin of the 260 rem. It needs a good bullet, meaning handloading and at extreme ranges, beyond 500 i would want ideal shot presentation. No texas heart shot! 300 give you more options but not as much fun to shoot at the range.

Hey guys,
Well come to earth. LoL. I shoot elk with my 260 Remington 140 grain Berger's all day long. Would not hesitate out to 800 yards. On earth people all ways claim bigger is better no matter how many times this has been proven wrong. Just shoot the caliber your comfortable with and can shoot good and be done. Good luck on your build And welcome to the forum.

i vote 6.5 PRC, brings you up to the killing capacity of a hot 270 load. It would be a good all around Mt rifle. And quite fun to shoot. And, I agree if you should expect to run into a big elk you would be a more human hunter to pack a 338, or 300...
last fall, as I was raising the scope to my eye and looking at that 7 or 8 pointer., 800 lb ? elk..I thought my gun, 270 with 180 woodleighs, is too little...he walked off. I couldn't get on his chest. I will meet him this fall with a 338. I call him Fernando.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.