Which PRC for my lightweight mountain rifle

Have built both and the 6.5 is a nice cartridge. The 300 is a legit magnum. With a healthy break the recoil is manageable to stay on target. As we all know under stress and hunting we really don't feel recoil but we do get knocked off target easily in field positions that are awkward. So, I tend to opt for a lighter recoiling rifle when possible and for the enjoyment of practicing. I can shoot the 6.5 a lot but the 300 wears on me after a box, especially in an 8 lb rifle.

6.5 prc with a 156 grain is probably as hard or harder hitter than a 7mm with a 150 gr. dont be doubtful of the 6.5 ballistics it is plenty to kill elk to 800. that being said I've killed a lot of elk. I dont like chasing them wounded. I prefer bigger because I'm really trying to break a lot of bone drop them where they are at vs lung shot then pack them 1/4 mile out of the canyon they ran into. I'd go 300 prc and the 225 eldm. I've had great luck with the eldms

Both are fine rounds. Both could do the job. Both are sized on a fat mag case. I like the fat mags, but don't like running them out of a magazine due to capacity loss and feed force.

I like light rifles, and rounds sized for the activity. Honestly at 500 yards, 6.5 Creedmoor could be an elk slayer.

Personally, I would like to be shooting 140-200 gr .277 to .308 bullets for selection and having enough diameter.

Have you considered 270 Win, 280 AI, 300 Sherman, 30-06 AI, 284 Win? These all give you lots of elk capability, way less recoil, 2 more rounds in the mag and feed smoother.

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.
I recently made this choice and went 6.5 prc on long action rem700 and love it

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.
the 6.5 PRC at 500 is more then enough to do elk and just about anything at that range just did 6 this winter for hunters up here and did my self one bighorn proof carbon fiber 24 inch barrel broke the barrel in with factory rounds 1 box and sighted it in went home cleaned it out bought 1 box of Hornady match for it went back out first 5 round out of it were just amazing so did vel and way higher then the box said 2947 over 8 rounds went back and took the ammo dealers last case of match ammo. if your shoots this good no trouble at all for elk
scan0001.jpg

Use enough gun. -Ruark
6.5 is capable, definitely.
300 is more capable, definitely.
If you're not recoil adverse, get the 300. I've never known anyone to be seriously remorseful regarding the overkill debate. I've know several concerned with underkill. Confidence matters. Up to you to decide what helps you sleep well.

Go with the gun that YOU feel that you will be more accurate with! I've seen elk killed at 850 yds with a 6.5-284. It's all about shot placement! If you flinch a little from recoil, don't go with the 300. Shot placement is just as crucial at 10 yds as it is at 1000yds! Accuracy is key!!

I would definitel
Hey guys,
I would definitely bump up to the 300. You may want that longer range shot if you plan on frequent hunts. I would rather have and not need it than need it and not have it. What I have seen the 300 PRC, Rem, Wby, etc. will give you better performance.

That's the kind of feedback I am looking for, When I look at the ballistic tables the 6.5 PRC has plenty of energy.
It's all about terminal performance. Yes, the 6.5 has great ballistics and will kill an elk of shot placement is proper, but a 30 cal creates a larger wound channel and is just better on larger game. Lots of elk are lost to 7 Rem Mags for the same reason. Do some research on Nathan Fosters website (ballisticstudies.com). He has done a ton of research on different bullets and calibers and their wounding ability. It's eye opening.
I have a 6.5-284 Norma that I love, but my elk rifle is a 300 WSM or 338 Lapua. Again, shot placement and bullet selection are paramount, but I like adding in the extra wounding/killing capabilities of a 30 cal or larger.

Hey guys,
I have the same setup in 6.5 prc and a 20 ounce vx6hd 3x18x50 that weights exactly 8 lbs total. I have hunted out west for a long time and killed elk with 3006 to 338wm and lately 300 rum. Shot placement is going to be the most important factor. You will be good to 500 yards, but use a stout bullet like a Scirroco, Barnes ttsx or a good bonded bullet in at least 140 grains and you will be fine. I am still testing mine with 130 grainers for a long range Coues deer hunt in AZ this fall. I love this rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts