Which Poison to pick!

Lahunter76

I have finally all my parts in to take to the gunsmith this next week to have my first semi custom built. Mark V action, McMillan Adj Game Warden, .30cal 28" Hart 1:9 twist

Now what to have it chambered in!
This is primarily a hunting rifle that I would like to take to 1000yds.
300 Norma has my eye, but the 30 nosler also has my interest peeked. I will be using ADG brass and plan on shooting no less then 200gr but really looking at the 215ish to 230ish gr pills. Looked at the RUM but concerned with COAL being too long. But If I am wrong I don't mind a RUM. Thinking I can go 3.8" with my Mag box. Excited about this rifle. Any of the above will do what I want. A 300win would but just want something a lil different, and do not plan on doing an improved version of any if I was it would be the Norma hands down. Opinions plz.
Hunting white tails mostly and one day rocky mt elk!
Shots can be thick cover short yardage to down a bean/corn field over 800 yds.

I would have thought your chambering decision would have been step #1, then buy all components. Sounds like what you have would be good for any of your options that you are considering. A really good brake would be an essential item too for those really big 30s. Good luck with your decision and build.

I had thought about what I wanted to chamber first, hence the few I listed and why the 300 Norma is on top atm. Yes I will have a terminator brake on my rifle. And I have thought about the powder, if I was shooting a lot a lot, then I would not be looking for this but probably more of a 6.5-284 type round, but since this is a primary hunting rig the big powder charge I feel will be ok to handle. Have been picking up powders for about 10mos now to have a few to pick from and building up when I find it. The infamous N570 still alludes me!

H1000
IMR 7828ssc
LRT
N560
N570
RL 25
RL 19(for the 270)

So far!

300 norma improved or 30 nosler. I suggest to stay away from standard 300 norma, brass flow to the neck causing constant trimming, large amounts of case taper increase bolt thrust. Whatever you decide use a freebore of 225-240 for the 215s and 230s.

It's the standard mag face, but I have the couple pc from Weatherby that you need to open it up for the larger face for the lapua/378 sizes

Yes I wanted to run a 1:9 so if I wanted to push the heavyweights I could, and after taking to Hart that's what they suggested as well. I have also looked at some mono bullets that would need the faster twist then the 1:10. Figured would rather be a lil faster twist then be too slow

Two questions
1) does ADG make that brass
2) what makes it better or preferable over the others I mentioned. Not against it just don't know too much about it other then Hornady made it

I just built a 30 Sherman mag on a 27" 1:9 twist varmint contour fluted benchmark barrel a Stiller's action and an AG composite alpine hunter stock topped it with Talley 20moa rings and NF nxs 5-22x50 it tips in at 10.6lbs with bipod and shoots like a dream. In a pinch I can shoot 300prc ammo.
Head stamp brass is made by adg and it is very consistent brass they also make 300 prc brass. I shot 40 rounds of Hornady 300 prc to break it in 225 eldm's stacked same hole out to 300 yards and the ES was pretty bad. I load HBN coated 230 Berger's with 85.4 of retumbo fed 215m ES of 6 over 10 rounds @avg.fps. of 3067.
It puts it pretty close to my RUM and 9 grains less powder and it fits in a smaller mag box 3.825" and I have room to spare. Just a thought and good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.