Which long range .338 Bullet to use?

I vote for the 225 or 250 accubond every time, but you have to choose what you like best . I have tested many bullets at close range and the serria game king was the one that held the most weight after expansion. however this was at close range not over 300 yds.. or more.. my test was a 35 cal with all bullets again it was at close range. for a tough bear game king. but at long range I still vote for the accubonds.

I would consider the 250 LRX, 236 or 260 Hammer or the 270gr ELDX--

I'm having a 338RUM built right now and those are the options I'm exploring... looking for the same results as you are.

I've recently been hunting a new area, and I'm finding 95% of the shots on elk are pretty long, 400-800 yards shots are typical. The country is rolling grass hills or low sage, the views are wide open. I've been shooting a .338 RUM with 225 nosler accubonds, and I'm thinking I need something heavier. I've got three loads that are shooting super sweet
1. 250 accubond at 3065fps
2. 250 SMK at 3020fps
3. 250 Berger elite hunter is shooting great at 2905fps and 2995fps
Does anyone have any experience with these billets on elk at these ranges? Some shoots may be a little iffy, ie animal not presenting a perfect broadside shot. What can I except. All three are basically shooting the same accuracy.
thanks.
Why do you think you need more than the 225 gr. Accubonds?

Looking for a bullet with better down range energy and penetration, I'm pretty nervous that the Berger won't get the penetration I'm looking for if the elk is quartering away, from the feeling I'm getting the Berger's are like big ballistic tips. I've ordered some nosler 265grAB, the BC looks pretty similar to the 250 Berger so maybe that's the solution for me.

My two cents... for the performance under those distances I would run Barnes 250gr LRX, over 600 BC. Then the 235 gr Hornady ELDX, and nosler accubond lr. Had a 338 RUM for years, don't have time to devote to practicing LR shooting required to be ethical. Finished build of Win 70 Fwt rebarreled with pacnor super match in 338-06. 24" finish had fwt contour straight tapered for 24".

At very long range, accuracy is going to become an important factor and then I'm hoping the consistency of the Bergers is good.

I think solids can be equally consistent but not all of them are going to be as accurate.

Finding a solid that balances the consistency, accuracy and terminal effect is the obvious solution but I haven't looked in to the lighter weight solids except Shooter's Pro Shop had cheap Nosler E-tips but I couldn't find load data or accuracy results.

I run 338NM,and the 300 otm last ten years.Shots like that its a hammer,more than needed.I wouldnt feel bad using the AB OR berger in 250 grn,but Im going to try some Badlands super dozer in 240 gr,because I dont have twist for the 270.

Recent Posts