Which Leupold scope to buy????

Matt Regalia

I have narrowed it down to 2 scopes. I am looking at a "new in box" Varx III 4.5 X 14 Tactical with Mil-Dot reticle (LEU49208) and the new Mark 4 PR (Precision Rifle) 4.5 X 14 LR (LEU56130). It is going on my 308 for Hi-Power Silhouette Shooting and tactical match shooting. Both scopes have plenty of internal elevation to get me to 1000 yds (I have a Ken Farrel 20 MOA tapered base). Does anyone have any info on the "New" Mark 4 series scopes. The old Vari X III scopes are very nice (current have 3 other Vari X III's) are the Marks 4's better? The Mark 4 does have a 30mm tube and 95 inches of elevation where the 1 inch tube Vari X III has 67. With price not an issue which would be the better choice?

Thanks,

Matt

jb1000br

Official LRH Sponsor
neither--I like the new vx 3 Long range -- 4.5-14 x 40 with a 30mm tube and side focus -- has mid size turrets -- bout 590$ from The Optic Zone -- sweet scope, and the next one i will buy to grace my 308.

JB

jb1000br

Official LRH Sponsor
The turrets i saw looked visible from shooting position. I guess, i'll heve to see one in person before i buy

JB

Matt Regalia

jb1000br,

That was my only concern from the picture. I will have to check it out in person as well. Although the Mark 4 is only a few dollars more than the on you listed ($15 difference to be exact). If I can get the Mark 4 for that price still I will.

Matt

Jon Jackoviak

The only difference with the old Vari-X III Tacticals and the new Mark 4 is the new Index Matched Lens System. What this so called improved Lens System? I am not sure. From reviews that I have go back from customers on the new Lens System, is that they can not tell the difference in clarity or brightness between the old and new Multicoat 4.

Matt Regalia

jb1000br,

I like the taller turrets. From what I can tell that scope you referenced does not have turrets at all. Just low dials that you can not read from behind the gun. Or maybe the picture I saw was wrong for that scope. I want to be able to read the turrets from behind the rifle in my shooting position (prone).

Matt

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce