Which Leupold scope to buy????

Matt Regalia

I have narrowed it down to 2 scopes. I am looking at a "new in box" Varx III 4.5 X 14 Tactical with Mil-Dot reticle (LEU49208) and the new Mark 4 PR (Precision Rifle) 4.5 X 14 LR (LEU56130). It is going on my 308 for Hi-Power Silhouette Shooting and tactical match shooting. Both scopes have plenty of internal elevation to get me to 1000 yds (I have a Ken Farrel 20 MOA tapered base). Does anyone have any info on the "New" Mark 4 series scopes. The old Vari X III scopes are very nice (current have 3 other Vari X III's) are the Marks 4's better? The Mark 4 does have a 30mm tube and 95 inches of elevation where the 1 inch tube Vari X III has 67. With price not an issue which would be the better choice?

Thanks,

Matt

neither--I like the new vx 3 Long range -- 4.5-14 x 40 with a 30mm tube and side focus -- has mid size turrets -- bout 590$ from The Optic Zone -- sweet scope, and the next one i will buy to grace my 308.

JB

The turrets i saw looked visible from shooting position. I guess, i'll heve to see one in person before i buy
wink.gif

JB

jb1000br,

That was my only concern from the picture. I will have to check it out in person as well. Although the Mark 4 is only a few dollars more than the on you listed ($15 difference to be exact). If I can get the Mark 4 for that price still I will.

Matt

The only difference with the old Vari-X III Tacticals and the new Mark 4 is the new Index Matched Lens System. What this so called improved Lens System? I am not sure. From reviews that I have go back from customers on the new Lens System, is that they can not tell the difference in clarity or brightness between the old and new Multicoat 4.

jb1000br,

I like the taller turrets. From what I can tell that scope you referenced does not have turrets at all. Just low dials that you can not read from behind the gun. Or maybe the picture I saw was wrong for that scope. I want to be able to read the turrets from behind the rifle in my shooting position (prone).

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.