Which kestrel 5700 and why

shawnb

Hey all. Ill be buying a new kestrel very soon. But, im a massive procrastinator. Im not spending $900-1000 for the elite. I see the 5700 ballistics for much cheaper, they advertize that its not a good choice for past 800, i take that with a grain of salt. We have been shooting well past that without having DSF (drop scale factor) for quite a few years. I can buy this model for ~$500.

Then i see the discontinued 5700 sportsman model. I tried finding what the difference was between this and the 5700 ballistics. I can buy this one for $400.

Then theres the hornady 4dof version. Decent calculator but ive been finding my own issues with it that were pointed out buy other indivduals as well. I wont get into it though so dont ask, im not here to bash hornady.

To my question, if you were in the market, which would you buy or which do you have experience with?

Last edited:
I updated my 5700 sportsman to the new 5700. It's a free update and now calculates Coriolis effects.
The only thing the elite can do is more ballistic profiles and drop factor charts and you can always update the 5700 to the elite if you do choose. You need the data cord thought and they're like $80

You updated it to the new ballistics version? Does that remove the applied ballistic calculator in place of a standard g1/g7 calculator?

Do you find it more accurate?

The sportsman had the g7 applied ballistics solver already. It just updated it to calculate coriolis effect. It's more accurate past 1000. I used to use jbm for farther shooting, now I use my kestrel. It doesn't calculate vertical wind drift at all. So 4dof is nice to play with that dial for that.
I think the elite can use custom applied ballistic curves and more than 3 saved ballistic charts. I've used my kestrel to a mile with success and 1500 with a 308 that is well in subsonic

Im not going with the elite. I Paid for the AB app and custom curves for the bullets i shoot. They arent even close. So im not paying an extra $600 for that.

As far as only 3 profiles, that doesnt bother me. I can swap with link if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.