Kestrel 5700 Applied Ballistics

I just got mine a month or so ago. Paired it with a Leica 2800.COM. It's a pretty sweet combo so far. I've only ranged stuff and let it spit out numbers. I haven't shot with it yet, but based on my own dope the numbers are spot on. I'm also really interested in setting the Leica up to run ballistics on its own and see how well does.

I've been using one for a year or so, 5700 elite AB. Only problem I've had is linking it with my Leica 3500.com. I do a lot of long range shooting and varmint hunting, looking for a marmot at a mile this year, so need really good ballistic calculations and a rangefinder that will give quick readings out to a mile in less than ideal conditions. Once I got the linking problem solved I still got incorrect information transmitted to the Leica from the kestrel whenever I took more than 4-5 ranges in a row. Kestrel told me their engineers would find a solution but I never heard anything back. I just downloaded the latest update to the kestrel but haven't tested it yet. Hopefully the problem is fixed.

I recently bought the Kestrel 5700 Ballistic within the past couple months. This model uses the same Applied Ballistics software that the 'Elite' unit uses, but lacks some of the features that PRS type competition & ELR type shooters use. I have been very happy / impressed with this unit. I also bought the 'weather vane' kit that allows you to mount the Kestrel on a tripod and bluetooth it to your phone. Also, if you decide you want all of the features that the 'Elite' unit has, you can upgrade it at a later date by purchasing the software from Kestrel. Panhandle Precision (Sam Millard) has some good youtube videos on the Kestrel units. Get one and you will not regret it.
I have the Elite along with the vane kit. Very handy in conjunction with a range finder.

So how do the rangefinders pull in environmental conditions; primarily wind?
You must be new here.

People here's definition of "long range" "hunting" is 1-500y. That's super sonic in most cases for a short action. They aren't doing real wind calls and I doubt many know how to do quick wind in their head. Especially with a MOA scope.

Thanks for the help guys! I think I'm going with the 5700 Ballistics for now then I can upgrade the software to the Elite if I find myself needing more features.

There are rangefinders and RF binos that link with the Kestrel Elite 5700 so your range is transmitted to the kestrel then the ballistic solution is transmitted back to the range finding unit and shows up in that display.
Thanks for the explanation. I thought someone was saying that the rangefinder can do it all, hence the reason for my question.

I bought the Kestrel 5700X with a faster processor and adjustable Bluetooth output. I use it with my Leica 3500.com mounted parallel with my scope. I capture a wind reading where I'm at then snap the Kestrel in it's mount from Badger Ordnance, pair it with the Leica and I'm ready to go. I find it very stable and fast mounted on the rifle, much better than holding it by hand.
Laze the target, the Leica sends range, inclination and Azimuth to the Kestrel while displaying the range, the Kestrel returns the firing solution to the Leica while displaying it on it's screen. Very fast! The Kestrel can be mounted it a vane mount and continuously read the wind, but it needs to be kept close to the Leica (within 6 ft.) and I personally don't like doing it that way.
In my opinion the Kestrel 5700X with AB is the best ballistic solver and environmental instrument available, paired with a high end Bluetooth LRF you will not be disappointed. Its all techy stuff though, and takes practice to get the results you want.
Love my setup!
20210606_162852.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I thought someone was saying that the rangefinder can do it all, hence the reason for my question.
I'm not 100% sure about the others but the Leica has environmental sensors built it as well as the ballistics calculator. It can do temp, and altitude and stuff like that, obviously it isn't going to do wind with no meter but that's about all it can't do. There's also the fact that it only takes G1 BCs, but that can be adjusted for. I'm still playing with mine, but it's a pretty cool pairing so far.

I bought the Kestrel 5700X with a faster processor and adjustable Bluetooth output. I use it with my Leica 3500.com mounted parallel with my scope. I capture a wind reading where I'm at then snap the Kestrel in it's mount from Badger Ordnance, pair it with the Leica and I'm ready to go. I find it very stable and fast mounted on the rifle, much better than holding it by hand.
Laze the target, the Leica sends range, inclination and Azimuth to the Kestrel while displaying the range, the Kestrel returns the firing solution to the Leica while displaying it on it's screen. Very fast! The Kestrel can be mounted it a vane mount and continuously read the wind, but it needs to be kept close to the Leica (within 6 ft.) and I personally don't like doing it that way.
In my opinion the Kestrel 5700X with AB is the best ballistic solver and environmental instrument available, paired with a high end Bluetooth LRF you will not be disappointed. Its all techy stuff though, and takes practice to get the results you want.
Love my setup!
View attachment 341467
Is the Kestrel and the Leica range finder rated for rifle recoil? I have not noticed that in any of the Kestrel specs, but maybe I missed it.

Recent Posts