Kestrel 5700 Applied Ballistics

Is the Kestrel and the Leica range finder rated for rifle recoil? I have not noticed that in any of the Kestrel specs, but maybe I missed it.
I never even thought about that when I saw that picture. It's a good point. I can't imagine either of them are rated for rifle recoil but I'm sure they're ruggedized and drop tested. I can't imagine what repeated recoil would do to either one of them though.

Last edited:
My guess is probably not, but according to Kestrel it is MIL-STD-810H tested. From what I read on that spec the drop test is 5 feet free fall onto cement backed steel. The Leica is probably the most at risk. In any event they have worked so far, and it is a heavy gun with a brake / suppressor. We will see.

My guess is probably not, but according to Kestrel it is MIL-STD-810H tested. From what I read on that spec the drop test is 5 feet free fall onto cement backed steel. The Leica is probably the most at risk. In any event they have worked so far, and it is a heavy gun with a brake / suppressor. We will see.
That's what I was thinking after reading those questions. If recoil is low due to a break and a heavy rifle then I couldn't see them getting more impact force than being dropped from just a few inches.

For those of you that run one of these do you have any issues or regrets? I am looking at the link model for ease of entering information from my phone. For the average shooter would a lesser model do the job all in one unit without breaking the bank?
Use the 5700ABS Link every outing. Zero problems. Not saving any significant money on lesser models. Buy once; cry once; happy ever after. Spent a lot of money in early years learning that lesson after being raised by a GREAT, but Depression Era, father. His paradigm worked well for his era/wants, but my paradigm works better for me. But, really, his paradigm is what launched me to my paradigm success. THANKS, DAD!! WELL DONE!!! :) :) :)

Hey, I've been using the Kestrel 5700 for a while now, and I haven't had any major issues or regrets. The link model does make it easy to enter information from your phone, which is a nice feature.