Kestrel 5700 4DOF

Has anyone tried one of these yet? Any reviews?

I picked one up. And am having a tough time understanding how it can be accurate. When you load your rifle info into either the app or directly into the unit. No where does it ask for the weather conditions of your sight in day. So no altitude, temperature, etc. So I'm having a hard time trusting it's accurate when it doesn't know that information. Am I missing something here ? Has anyone tried it?

Also, is there a way to actually get a table of all your yardages? I normally write it all in my own dope book. But it would be nice to be able to see yardages on a table for other types of shooting. Every ballistic app has that ability surprised to see the Kestrel app does not.

Thanks

Spend some time on Kestrel's web site. I think you will find the answers you are looking for. The Kestrel 5700 will automatically add the station environmentals to your firing solution.

Yes I understand it automatically adds it. But doesn't it need to know what environmental conditions I had when I zeroed the rifle? As zero will change in different altitudes and temps etc. If I zero my rifle on a nice summer day at 90 degrees. Then go hunting in winter where it's single digits. The unit needs to know my zero was at 90 degrees in order to calculate the shot does it not?

What you're looking for is the MV-temp table. But it's not on the zero, it's asking for what the temp was when you chrono'd/trued drop. It's a under assumption that zero atmosphere doesn't matter, just the mv at a particular temp, and has runs off a generic chart that predicts MV change by temp. If you have a zero shift, that's something you have to address on the scope or in offset. If you reload and know the ammo sensitively, you can add that value in as well.

I have a 5700 Elite with AB so not the same unit. My Kestrel app has a place for velocity and temp in the gun profiles. It is all a bit of a challenge to use I just keep plowing through the info provided and got it all to work. Matter of fact it all works well when linked with my Leica 2800.com and does not require the use of my phone in the field to find a firing solution.

I have a 5700 Elite with AB so not the same unit. My Kestrel app has a place for velocity and temp in the gun profilesand does not require the use of my phone in the field to find a firing solution.

Same here, I upgraded a 5700 sportsman to an elite after my 4500 Horus got used up (broke).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts