Which Hunting Knife

Like Weaver93 I have been using the Morakniv knives the last few years, they are cheap, super sharp and tough, plus it is not a big deal if I loose it because for 10 or 15 dollars I can get another one.

I am a pack hunter as well and I carry two knives. One is an ultralight cheap Swedish knife which I use for everything but skinning and working inside an animal. The second is a custom knife I had made about thirty years ago. The blade is six inches and has a good belly on it for skinning. Moose are tough on a knife and Elk aren't far behind so I like the big blade. One of the reasons I had a custom made was because I cut my hand very badly working inside a large deer once. Knives can get very slippery from the blood and fat, and if you don't have a good guard on the handle your hand can slide up on the blade if you hit something hard when pushing on it. It's a dirty job and when you do cut yourself it's a bad place to try and completely clean the wound, especially if you are hurrying, which I was because it was getting dark. I finished the deer and had to leave it and go back later because I needed a couple stitches in my hand. A few years after I had the knife built I discovered Kevlar gloves which are good but they are hard to wash up. Anyway, I still get the shivers when ever I see a super sharp knife with a straight handle.

I have a Benchmade Hunt Saddle Mtn Skinner
I can't explain how sharp it is or how well it retains it's edge.
In 3 seasons I haven't had to do more than run it over a ceramic rod a few times.
Yes, this. Anything from the Benchmade Hunt series. And just one person mentioned the Steep Country Hunter in S30V with the orange / black Kydex sheath. BM says that's one of their most popular as it does the job and is only about $129 or so. (Last year you could get it for just over $100, but that was before "Putin's Price Hike!!" Damned Russians! …. 😉)

The other two mentioned, the Hidden Canyon Hunter and Saddle Mountain Skinner come in two configs: the pretty wood handle and nice trad leather sheath versions in easier to sharpen S30V, which is cheaper, and versions with a super thin insanely sharp 14 degree "Selectedge" in S90V, that come with the same orange/black kydex that will run you over $200 each.

The downside, you WILL need to avail yourself of their sharpening service with those, or learn how to use a diamond hone. Otherwise it will take you 6 months with a standard whetstone. But the edge lasts a really long time as that steel is near 61 HRC. Those two models also come with Richlite handles.

I usually carry the smaller, shorter S90V Hidden Canyon in Scout carry on my left belt, and the Steep Country or a Fallkniven NL5 Idun on my right, or in a pack, with a Second Gen Havalon with the stiffer 60A blades somewhere, since they weigh nothing. I'd use the old 60XT blades only if you needed a scalpel. They do make skinning blades as well.

Remember Fallkniven has their numbers switched around for some reason: the NL5 "Idun" is just 4", while the NL4 "Frej" is 5.5". Great knives.

Last edited:
Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
Benchmade, folder or stick….hands down!

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
I carry one big knife also. Now that's a knife....and real crocodile sheath. I have my trusty 6" Buck knife as a backup though.

Attachments

• CDKnife&sheath.jpg
    CDKnife&sheath.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 66
If you are willing to wait and have the money, in my humble opinion you can't go wrong with Randall made knives. I inherited my father's Randall that he carried during WWII and most of the rest of his life. It is perfectly balanced and keeps a very sharp edge.

Randall Airman is what is usually on my belt, so a Model 15 is what is used pretty much.

I love my Altitude. I also have the Steep Country but the Altitude is the one that almost always ends up in my kill kit. The steel is strong and keeps an edge well, that also means it's kind of a PITA to sharpen. I'd definitely buy the Altitude again.
You know I looked really hard at the Altitude, and almost pulled the pin, but since I already had the Saddle Mountain in that steel went with the Steep Country, just to have a more easily sharpened field knife. The Altitude is smaller and more compact though. Glad to see a positive review of it.

A friend gave me one of Randy Newberg's multi blade knives form Gerber. Never thought much of them till I used it. I especially like the serrated break-down blade for getting them or opened up and ready to bone out. Works even better after they get a little tissue in them and tighten the blade into the lock system.

It's definitely a good low weight do all knife for low cost too. No BS.