Which Factory 300 Win Under $1k?

cowboyarcher

Hi Guys,

I've recently been thinking a 300 Win Mag would fill a good spot in my LRH needs. I'm looking at running any of the 190-210 gr Accubonds. At 8500 feet they will carry 2000 ft lbs to 700-1000 yards so it is quite a capable round for the elk and mule deer running around here.

But my question is this: which factory rifle would best suit my needs?

To help answer that here are some things I'd like to see:

- 26"+ barrel length
- Stainless Steel
- Detachable mag
- Mag box long enough to have a repeater with the long AB's
- Something under 9 lbs for a sub 11 lb scoped rifle
- Side port, detachable muzzle brake (I realize this is probably going to be added later by a smith)
- Availability of good aftermarket stocks or a good factory stock (B&C medalist is sufficient)
- Sub MOA groups with the heavy AB's
- Total cost under $1000

Any thoughts on such a rifle?

Thanks all and God bless!

Adam

The 5R has 5 riflings and is harder to find and thought to be just a little better by most; it has a stainless barrel and no flutes. I would love a 5r but couldn't find one when I was looking. They are similar guns with similar stocks. Either would be nice.

I have a 300 built on a Savage target action, but I have been looking hard at the Savage law enforcement series with HS precision stock. That should be a tack driver right out of the box and wouldn't need any modifications. It only has a 24" barrel but that should be good enough.

Last edited:
Sorry, my internet and forum spazzed out......jpd is correct. Those are the main differences. The Sendero will have little to no palmswell, and the 5R will have a large palmswell, as well.

Only issue with the 5R and Sendero is that by the time I have a Muscle Brake installed I'll be at $1500ish. . .

The Browning is interesting but I'm somewhat wary of it as it's not a common action and it is CM. . .

What would the expected accuracy of an SPS SS be? They are typically cheap enough that swapping to a B&C and adding the brake would keep me around $1k.

What about a Tikka T3 Stainless?

I've had 2 A-Bolts, and still have 1 of them......They are on the same level as a Remington 700 and an older Ruger 77 MKII (tang safety), which, IMO, is a step above Savage and Winchester. I have no issues with Winchester or Savage, I just think the 700 and A-Bolt II are superior platforms to build off of.

Brownings are tricky. Alot of gunsmiths won't touch them, but they are incredible actions, and incredibly accurate rifles out of the box.

I hunt deer with my A-Bolt, it is my main hunting rifle, and my go-to for hunting hogs, deer, etc... It is an A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 7mm Rem Mag w/ BOSS. And it is a tack-driver with my reloads. I just made some COL adjustments to my reloads, so I plan on giving them a try and seeing how it likes them.

Don't underestimate the A-Bolt II action. They are incredibly well designed and very strong.

Also, to answer your other question....VERY VERY FEW stock rifles will perform how you are expecting them to. You will most likely still have to swap out to an aftermarket barrel, have your action blueprinted, and have a high-quality scope to be able to shoot 1000 yards consistantly. Not to mention the practice and ammo cost, even if you reload. Load development will be expensive and alot of wear and tear on your rifle. Lots of other things.

Long-Range shooting and hunting is in no way an inexpensive hobby. It is very time consuming and very very expensive.

I realize my constraints are fairly tight but I did not think Sub MOA was unreasonable for a factory rifle with reloads. That's really only asking it to do .99 MOA honestly.

I guess if there is no factory rifle then I'll just build another Savage. With a McGowan tube (even with a factory tube they will generally do that) they will meet that spec fairly easily and do it well under $1k. They are not as smooth or refined as some of the others but they do group. I was just hoping to step up in class and get something with some refinements.

BTW - Optics were not included in the $1k mark. . .

I would say the only factory built rifles that will do it would be (now days) $1250+ rifles. I mean, back when guns were cheap, I bought my Sendero SF for $700 brand new, and it shoots the lights out with factory and reloads. However, new Senderos are $1,500.....Inflation over time. Sendros, 5R's, and my buddy has a stock 700 SPS .300 Win Mag that shoots ragged holes @ 100 yards with specific handload recipes.

So yes, a $600 rifle is possible to shoot better, but one that will handle 1000 yards will require tweaking by a gunsmith.

I mean, you can buy a basic Remington 700 action from Brownells for $400-$500 and have a good barrel cut and installed and have everything trued, and be around the same cost as a Sendero, and it will also outshoot that Sendero, too, with the right loads. Custom and trued, always trumps factory and mass-produced. That's what I'd do if I didn't have access to a spare action. Heck, your gunsmith might even have a spare action laying around he might sell you on the cheap side.

A-Bolt for hunting rig is hard to beat. They are accurate, quality built, and I really like their detachable hinged floorplate. I'd like to see other use their detachable mag system. Tough choice between Remington and Browning. Fit and finish awesome in Brownings.

That's why I have both! LOL

I have 1 Browning (had one before, but it got stolen years ago), and have several Rem 700's for a reason...There's alot more accessories and parts out there for them. Plus, while I love the A-Bolts thoroughly, the Rem 700 is a timeless classic, and trued and true proven design...It just simply can't be beat. But the A-Bolts give them a close run for their money in 2nd place.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.