Which dies do I order

chad

Just dropped my rifle off to have it done in 280 improved. What dies do I order? It will be done with the 40 deg shoulder. I read where some dies with 40 deg shoulders are different as far as length. Different shell holders. Any one help me here?

It should be a 280 AI, but like you said, it may not be exactly what the die manufacture think is quite correct. I would call whatever manufacture you want to go with and speak with them. With RCBS, I gave them 5 spent rounds and they made me a set to match.

Same shellholer, and there has been a discrepency about whether the new Nosler/SAAMI spec design is .014" shorter than the original PO Ackley length.

I don't know if it is or isn't, but I do know you'll be ok as long as your smith has the newer SAAMI spec reamer. You can order the Nosler .280 AI brass for reloading, and you will need these dies...

RCBS 2-Die Set 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

RCBS Neck Sizer Die 280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder

And this shellholder:

RCBS Shellholder #3 (308 Winchester 30-06 Springfield 45 ACP)

And you'll be set.

The articles I've read, said that RCBS claims the old (original) Ackley chambering the dies are listed as "280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder" and the newer (SAAMI spec) dies are listed as "280 Ackley Improved 40-Degree Shoulder". In other words, the newer models don't say the word Remington on them.

I went with the "straight" 280....Im sick of those AI versions. If I need more power than the normal version has....I'll just go to a larger caliber

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts