Reloading equipment, what to change in which order?

trazman

Hey guys, so I came to a point, where I don't know what to change to improve my reloading? Please suggest all but what you would change first...

So lets go from the beginning, I am asking this to get the best from my long range laser in .300 win mag for long range hunting and shooting, but I will go the same way for all my match calibers...

Press: Lee classic cast
Dies: RCBS standard dies (I was planing to replace with redding type s fl die and forster micro seating die)
Primer pocket cleaner: Rcbs
flash hole cleaner: Rcbs
deburr: rcbs by wilson
trimmer: RCBS trim pro 2 (not happy at all)
powder dispenser: Rcbs chargemaster combo (I really started enjoying reloading when I got this)
I don't have any runout gauges
I measure case length and COAL with standard calliper without any accessories...
I don't neck turn

A few things you may consider are: Hornady concentricity tool, Hornady comparator with ogive inserts and head space inserts, ultrasonic cleaner (this allows you to clean the primer pockets without a tool in hopes of reducing damage to primer pockets), universal decapping die (no prep required, run dirty brass through it and then place in the ultrasonic tank), big bag of citric acid powder, meplate trimmer, full length and neck die from redding (type s is great), .331 through .334 collet inserts, hand priming tool, annealing machine, I have the lyman case trimmer with the drill shaft and like it, 21st Century neck turning lathe is really neat, good chronograph and ballistic computer, a few spare barrels. That is all I can think of at the moment.

Hey guys, so I came to a point, where I don't know what to change to improve my reloading? Please suggest all but what you would change first...

So lets go from the beginning, I am asking this to get the best from my long range laser in .300 win mag for long range hunting and shooting, but I will go the same way for all my match calibers...

Dies: RCBS standard dies (I was planing to replace with redding type s fl die and forster micro seating die)
powder dispenser: Rcbs chargemaster combo (I really started enjoying reloading when I got this)
I measure case length and COAL with standard calliper without any accessories...
I don't neck turn

Well number one
Id invest in one of the many gauges out there to measure CBTO instead of measuring OAL.

Two
Id invest in a gauge that allows you to measure the decrease in headspace (bump) when you fl size.

Three
If you wanna start watching and controlling runout the sinclair gauge is as good as any ive seen and i do not recommend the hornady. I dont like where it supports the case, and if you have to bend your ammo you are headed down the wrong road.

With these three thing you can accurately measure the work that you are already doing with the tools you have and bring the consistency of reloads to the next level.

I like your idea of moving to reddings type s dies.
By no longer overworking your brass your runout and brass life will get better.

Thanks for quick replies. I will definitely get the runout gauge from sinclair and then check step by step...

A few things you may consider are: Hornady concentricity tool, Hornady comparator with ogive inserts and head space inserts, ultrasonic cleaner (this allows you to clean the primer pockets without a tool in hopes of reducing damage to primer pockets), universal decapping die (no prep required, run dirty brass through it and then place in the ultrasonic tank), big bag of citric acid powder, meplate trimmer, full length and neck die from redding (type s is great), .331 through .334 collet inserts, hand priming tool, annealing machine, I have the lyman case trimmer with the drill shaft and like it, 21st Century neck turning lathe is really neat, good chronograph and ballistic computer, a few spare barrels. That is all I can think of at the moment.

citric acid powder? Never heard of this for ultrasonic. Is it better than the commercial cleaners?

I definitely think the comparator gauges are with their weight in gold... As well as the forster ultra dies for seating bullets. I bought a concentricity gauge and got rid of it once I started using the forster seating dies.... They seat the bullet so well I just don't have to waste my time checking concentricity any more.... And that's coupled with the very inexpensive lee collet dies for neck sizing. It's a great combo together. I also would highly recommend a vld deburrer... Sinclair has an excellent carbide option that does a fine job.

Lastly... I can't remember what you put down as your powder measurer, but I've had very good luck with the RCBS chargemaster 1500 powder scale and dispenser, especially after changing the dispensing speed and using the McDonald's straw trick.

Good luck!

citric acid powder? Never heard of this for ultrasonic. Is it better than the commercial cleaners?
I think it is better than the few commercial cleaners I have used. They use citric acid as their main ingredient anyway. A few scoops combined with dish soap and brass comes out very clean inside and out, including primer pockets. As with anything, overloading the tank with brass will reduce the effectiveness.

If you're going to use water I'd skip the ultrasonic and move right on up to using stainless steel media. I have access to ultrasonic at work but once I tried SS media I don't use the US machine except to deep clean car parts. The SS works far better.

I don't use this source, but it receives top reviews:
Stainless Steel Reloading Supplies | Tumblers, Separators, Media, Brass & More!

I currently use a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight as my tumbler, but I don't do large batches and I only wanted to try the system before spending $ on a large tumbler. When my Harbor Freight tumbler dies I'll be moving to whatever the website above is selling at the time.

Follow the tips & tricks on the website above to get best results.

For other equipment -
a headspace gauge to accurately see how much you bump the shoulders.
The Hornady comparator so that you can accurately measure the base-to-ogive length and (essentially) ignore COAL.
Think about body dies for your favorite calibers to bump the shoulders and then use neck dies (or neck bushing dies) to work the neck. Also, people may laugh at them but I get better concentricity from using Lee Collet dies than from using the Redding Type S neck bushing dies. YMMV.
A good chronograph, as noted. I have a Beta Master Chrony and now a Magnetospeed. For the $, I am impressed by how good the results from the BMC are when compared to the MS - but you need to use the BMC on an overcast day or first thing in the morning for best results. Direct sun will artificially inflate the speed.
A second job to pay for all the new toys you'll be buying. :D

A cheap, quick and simple step you can add is to deburr your case necks after trimming. The full details are in the link below:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/new-reloader-138957/index3.html#post988541

Props to Jboscobuys for the tip!

Thanks Tali! Also... Dr. Vette, no laughing over here except for about how much I saved going with the lee collet dies and then again on the way back from shooting little tiny groups as a result of using them. They are an incredible value and simply put... Amazing. I can't remember the two gentlemen on one of the boards that recommended them to me some time ago, but I give them both kudos again for persuading me to consider the Lee collets. Cheap definitely doesn't always equate to poor quality. Best neck sizing dies I've ever used.

I don't neck turn

Once u fire ur cases to match ur chamber. U r doing a good jobI have a Hornandy neck sizing die for case size that i own. Works great

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.