Which Cartridge for 600 Yard varmint hunting

TheReeper

Hello all, I am getting ready to build a new varmint rig, and I am trying to figure out what cartridge to use. I will be shooting small varmints like Pdogs and Squrriels. I want the rifle to be able to be deadly accurate out to 600 yards. It will be a high volume shooting rifle, so I want a cartridge that will give me excellent barrel life. I have been told, by many, to go with a no-turn neck 6BR with a 1-8 twist barrel. I was thinking about going with a regular .223 with a 1-7.5 twist barrel to shoot the heavier 55 to 80grn .22 cal bullets. From what I have read, the 6BR sure sounds like it's the perfect varmint cartridge. I would like to hear what you guys think. Also, the majority of my varmint hunting will be done from 400yards to 600 yards, so I am diffenently going to go with a fast twist barrel. Any help would be great, thanks.

I agree that the 6BR would be a very good choice. I've got two of them for varmint shooting. Easy to load for and fun to shoot.

6BR or ^mm Dasher either one is top of the line for what you want.

For 600 yards consider a long barrel, fast twist, 100 gr Class bullets and enough scope to see what you're doing.

Never having owned a 6 br I would have to go with the 233 rem because of all
of the available ammo (cheep) and barrel life with the 55 or 60 gr bullets.

A 1 in 8 twist will work with these bullets.

J E CUSTOM

IF it is strictly varmint, I would go with either straight 6 BR or the BRX (uses 6BR dies) and a 1-9/-10 twist barrel in a no neck turn. Go to 6mmbr.com and read on posts about how much freebore for those bullets.

That will smoke the 87 Vmax and lighter bullets. Will even shoot the 95 grain bullets also.

BH

One of mine is a 10 twist, no-turn, 28" long. I've shot the 87 vmaxes to 950 yards with it. It will push those 87s over 3000fps although I've settled on a little slower load. Next spring it will get a chance to whomp rockchucks at 600+ yards hopefully.

223 will get the job done and be your cheapest option, but if it were my gun, I would build a 6 br.

Thanks for all the info. I will go with a 28", 1-8 twist barrel for sure. I am going to go with either a Bartlein or Krieger. I've been hearing excellent things about Bartlein barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.