The .257 -WHICH CARTRIDGE???

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Good evening all!
We just got a great deal on a large batch of Berger .257 EOL 133gr bullets. Currently we don't have a 1/4 bore in our inventory. The last one Jill had was a 25WSSM and we loved it. We also have more rifle components than we can currently build rifles.
I always pick a Cartridge and then start purchasing all the components for the build. Started out different this time.
We have the bullet a .257 Berger 133gr EOL. now we need to start working around the bullet. I know that this bullet is on the heavier/longer side.
I am thinking a 1:7 twist on the barrel. Now need the Cartridge to start purchasing the Action, Brass, Dies, Reamer.
What CARTRIDGE would you have to shoot these bullets for hunting??? Plan on a "Mountain Type Rifle"
Interested in a SA for this build but can go LA.
Looking for infor from someone that has previous experience with heavy .257s. or your perfect idea of 1/4 bore Slayer you would want to own and hunt with.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Last edited:
The 25sst seems great to me. I don't have any personal experience with one yet but I have everything but an action for one right now and it's on the way so hopefully I'll be shooting it in about three weeks.There's a lot of good information on this forum about them. It looks like you should be able to get the 133 Berger's to 3100-3150+ depending on barrel length. The brass is in stock and doesn't require fire forming.

If your wanting a short action then I would go with a magnum bolt face to send the 133 with some speed. Your pretty much looking at wildcats then. 25SST, 25SAUM Lots more work and expense goes in to those.

257 WB would be the easiest, followed by 25-06AI but then your going to long action. All would be great performers

I'm very happy with my 25 creedmoor. Also had a 25-06 and 25-284 fast twist, no longer shooting them. The creedmoor does everything I need it to; holds enough velocity for expansion way out there. And it does it with less recoil and muzzle blast. Easy to load/tune and find components.