The .257 -WHICH CARTRIDGE???

Well, I bought 1200 pieces of Peterson brass when it became available. That was what sparked me to build these 2 rifles. I also am going to buy the 6.5-280 Ackley in the classifieds, it puts me in one rifle right away and allows me time to build a lightweight 6.5 throated for the 156gr Bergers.

There will be six 280 Ackley rifles in the safe once I get the last one finished. I also have 400rds of the Nosler 140gr Accubond factory loads.

****Edit****

That should say:

There will be six 280 Ackley based rifles in the safe once I get the last one finished. I also have 400rds of the Nosler 140gr Accubond factory loads.

Three 280 Ackley rifles, one 25-280 Ackley and two 6.5-280 Ackley rifles.

Would you mind to share your loads for the 25/280AI. I am still waiting on a reamer, barrel. I am using a Bartlein 26" in 7 twist rate. On a Rem 700 action. I have two boxes of Peterson Brass in 500 lots.

I haven't finalized the full custom build. I have a Savage 25'06 that we used my reamer on and I used it to fireform brass using the data from Berger. The 10 twist is not capable of stabilizing anything above 115/117gr. As soon as the custom dies come back, I will finish the build.

We used the N165 data from Berger for the 120gr Speer bullets while fire forming but using the 117gr Hornady bullets. They were on the shelf locally and significantly cheaper.

Things went sideways here shortly after that post. I have drug my feet and haven't gotten back at it.

IMG_6803.png

My first thought due to all my years hunting with it would be the .257 Weatherby Mag... but, with the request for a "light mountain rifle" in a SA well I'd pick the .257 Roberts AI I've used a .257 Robert in the mountains more than a few times and it punches way above its weight class on Deer, later in its life I re-chambered it for the AI
I was amazed at the performance, accuracy, and case life of the cartridge as an AI. Good luck, Cheers.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the 257 Robert's AI. A sweet cartridge.

Have any of yall measured case capacity of the 25/280ai Peterson brass by chance?
My 25 Sherman LA is on Peterson also. Curious how they compare.
I've been through the factory 25/06 and AI, doing an SST now and Max is 4-5 months away.
Nothing serious overbore. Yet.
I think you'll see about 1 1/2 maybe 2 grains

Good evening all!
We just got a great deal on a large batch of Berger .257 EOL 133gr bullets. Currently we don't have a 1/4 bore in our inventory. The last one Jill had was a 25WSSM and we loved it. We also have more rifle components than we can currently build rifles.
I always pick a Cartridge and then start purchasing all the components for the build. Started out different this time.
We have the bullet a .257 Berger 133gr EOL. now we need to start working around the bullet. I know that this bullet is on the heavier/longer side.
I am thinking a 1:7 twist on the barrel. Now need the Cartridge to start purchasing the Action, Brass, Dies, Reamer.
What CARTRIDGE would you have to shoot these bullets for hunting??? Plan on a "Mountain Type Rifle"
Interested in a SA for this build but can go LA.
Looking for infor from someone that has previous experience with heavy .257s. or your perfect idea of 1/4 bore Slayer you would want to own and hunt with.

Thanks
Len & Jill
25WSM

25 GT - make a PRS rifle out of it using the 133s.
While it would be a sweet rifle, I personally don't feel the 25GT would have enough HP to make a medium/longer range hunting rifle.

I have a 22GT and love it for varmints. I have loaded for a 6GT too, and a 108-115 really takes it's toll on velocity. I think a 133-135 would really slow it down too much for my tastes for hunting out west. But for areas where hunting shots are 600-700 max, it might be a viable option. The extra 200fps from a 25CM would really help though.