which caliber for hunting Aoudad with a supresses rifle

TXAoudadKlr

Hey guys, I'm wanting to have a supressed rifle built for hunting Aoudad. We have several herds on my place in del rio ranging from 8-25+. Me and my dad have been trying to get as many off as possible, since here in the past 3 years we just started getting our deer herd #'s back up and would hate to see them run off by the aoudad. Most of the shots have been close, less than 150yards. I'm thinking somthing with a large diameter bullet that has a good amount of mass like maybe a 458 socom in a bolt action and maybe run supressed loads to try and thin the herd as much as possible when they do show up in such large numbers. Thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Hey guys, I'm wanting to have a supressed rifle built for hunting Aoudad. We have several herds on my place in del rio ranging from 8-25+. Me and my dad have been trying to get as many off as possible, since here in the past 3 years we just started getting our deer herd #'s back up and would hate to see them run off by the Aoudad. Most of the shots have been close, less than 150yards. I'm thinking something with a large diameter bullet that has a good amount of mass like maybe a 458 socom in a bolt action and maybe run supressed loads to try and thin the herd as much as possible when they do show up in such large numbers. Thoughts or input would be appreciated.

I have a 450 Bushmaster on an AR platform that is great for hogs out to 200 to 300 yards.

I have hunted and killed Aoudad and found them to be tough and would recommend something in
.30 cal or larger.

I also have a 338 RCM built on a Mod 7 Remington that weighs in around 6 pounds that's a hammer
with the 200 and 225 grain Accubonds and would Handel 600 yard shots with ease.

So In my opinion something like a 300 WSM or a 338 RCM bolt action would be perfect for Aoudad.

Something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

I may not have worded it the way I intended, looking for something that would be good subsonic. Having killed 7 between me and my dad. I learned all to well how tough they can be nailed my first large ram with a 7 mag 3 times put a hole the size of a soft ball through him with all the rounds impacting in the same area and still had to finish him with a 40cal. I'm shying a way from the 300aac or blackout simpily because I don't think it will have enough power to be authoritive when it hits. Now that you have mentioned it a 338 rcm or federal pushing a heavy low drag 265-300gr bullet my be the ticket.

Last edited:
I may not have worded it the way I intended, looking for something that would be good subsonic. Having killed 7 between me and my dad. I learned all to well how tough they can be nailed my first large ram with a 7 mag 3 times put a hole the size of a soft ball through him with all the rounds impacting in the same area and still had to finish him with a 40cal. I'm shying a way from the 300aac or blackout simpily because I don't think it will have enough power to be authoritive when it hits. Now that you have mentioned it a 338 rcm or federal pushing a heavy low drag 265-300gr bullet my be the ticket.

Sorry : I did not see the Subsonic requirement. That makes it much more difficult to find a
caliber that has enough energy unless yo go to one of the Whispers that J D Jones makes.

You are right about the knock down power of the large diameter bullets. (Bigger is better)

On behalf of the 338 RCM, I have been very pleased with the performance of the Accubonds
exit wound on every thing and every place they hit. It seems that whether it is a neck shot
or a chest shot the exit wound is averaging 1 to 1 and 1/2".

Plus with some load experimentation you can load up to 300 grain bullets.

Interesting

J E CUSTOM

Have you had any trouble trailing them with the 338 rcm and accubonds?

So far the 3 I killed and the one my buddy killed didn't leave any blood trail what so ever. The one my buddy killed he was using barnes tsx, I was a bit excited to see how those worked on them, they punched a very nice wound channel all the way through hitting both lungs but still didn't leave a blood trail untill about 3ft away from were it was found.

Have you had any trouble trailing them with the 338 rcm and accubonds?

So far the 3 I killed and the one my buddy killed didn't leave any blood trail what so ever. The one my buddy killed he was using barnes tsx, I was a bit excited to see how those worked on them, they punched a very nice wound channel all the way through hitting both lungs but still didn't leave a blood trail untill about 3ft away from were it was found.

Everything I have shot using the Accubonds has been DRT. The barns 3x has been inconsistent and so has one of my favorite bullets (The partition) The match Kings have also been inconsistent unless I trimmed the meplat.

It appears that any good bonded bullet will be more consistent and predictable.

With almost 4,000 ft/lbs of energy the little RCM is very impressive with the 200 grain and 225
grain bullets.

J E CUSTOM

I'm leaning more towards a bolt action 458 socom pushing 4-500gr bullets. It wont have massive kenetic energy but should be authoritative given its diameter.

Lord have mercy, your "problem" sounds like a wet dream of mine...."too many Aoudads and I have to shoot them all". gun) Well, let me assist you with that. I guide hunters for Aoudad in Presidio, and Van Horn. I will be most willing to assist you in reducing the population.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.